Does Bank of California prevent effects that say to pay/give GR to another player?

Say that I have Bank of California:

Players cannot take ghost rock from the Bank’s controller.

Depending on who is control of the deed, can that prevent effects that say to “pay” another player, such as Property is Theft, This’ll Hurt in the Mornin’, Buskers, or Framed?

If your hand is legal, they pay you instead.

…your opponent must either pay you 1 ghost rock or ace the card.

…that dude’s controller must pay you 2 ghost rock…

That dude’s controller either boots them and pays you 1 ghost rock…

If I control the Bank of California, and I am told to pay another player, does that mean that I can’t do so?

Similarly, Rick Henderson and Allie Hensman (Exp.1) say “give”:

…their owner must give you 1 ghost rock or discard them.

If successful, the mark’s controller must give you ghost rock…

The only card I could find that says to “take” ghost rock was This is a Holdup!

…take ghost rock from the owner up to the production of that deed.

If “Players cannot take ghost rock from the Bank’s controller” and “The Bank’s controller cannot pay other players ghost rock” are not synonymous, does that mean that Bank of California only prevents This is a Holdup! and no other cards?

2 Likes

Seen and under review by RT to determine if the Bank will affect more than just This is a Hold Up

RT has concluded the Bank will only prevent cards that say ‘take,’ and we at PBE apologize for not further exploring cards with this phrasing. As the 108 themed cards and cards that say ‘pay,’ were not tested with the Bank in mind, we will not be issuing any rewording to any cards. Thank you for asking this question and we’ll keep this in mind for future cards :slight_smile:

To add a bit of history, we found the Bank was initially designed to meta the Sloane base home, which initially stole money, but was ultimately changed.

4 Likes