Doomtown European Championship

Decklist and a little writeup posted.

5 Likes

I hope more than just the top 8 give tournament reports. As Iā€™ve said (and written an article about) before, you often learn much more in defeat, and itā€™s those sorts of lessons that can help the rest of us too!

4 Likes

Totally agree with the sentiment here on learning from the whole player base. There are various reports on dtdb already, not just from the T8. Lots of reading material to distract me from my report, but at least Iā€™m home from work now and have started itā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m excited to see you 'round these parts!

Heh, I never left but lately when I checked there wasnā€™t much commotion so nothing to say :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™m thinking thatā€™s about to change.

1 Like

Agreed, great to see everyone contributing and the community talking DT again!

2 Likes

Forums and dtdb suddenly very busy again, look forward to seeing decks from all over the world in the Epitaph reports.

Iā€™ve dropped my decklist at dtdb now as requested, sorry for the travel/work induced delay.

http://dtdb.co/en/decklist/2397/euro-marshal-2017-winner-horses-are-the-bass-hexes-are-t#

I included a bit on why I switched from 3/6/7 horses to 6/7/K to answer @db0ā€™s sensible question on how people tried to respond to expectations of a cavalry rich field.

2 Likes

Very interesting that you werenā€™t running kidnapping but rather runā€™em down as hard removal (as thatā€™s easier to avoid). I really like when such cards are not auto-include anymore :slight_smile:

EDIT: Also, no Unprepared in so many decks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Variety and hard choices on values are great for the game. I think Iā€™d go 3x Run ā€˜em Down, 1x Kidnappinā€™ if I had my time again.

Iā€™ve mentioned it before, but the natural balance Doomtown Reloaded provides with 4x a given Suit & Value is great. Well done to whoever game up with that during initial design and to you and Emre for subsequently making good use of that during the various expansions released so far.

1 Like

That honour would go to Mr. Wootton :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Cheers, nice to know these background elements. Subsequent design made good use of this natural balance too, you all deserve credit.

Good point on Unprepared.

I only got hit with unprepared once all day! Got hydro-punched a lot insteadā€¦ :wink: Joking aside, welcome variety in values and actions suites used, although with the Edinburgh players doing well we skewed things towards Itā€™s Not What You Know and Point Blank as these are popular locally.

1 Like

@db0 deserves a lot of credit!

3 Likes

Fact- between the the two we are standing on the shoulders of giants.

2 Likes

Further to my point about it being hard to counter Calling the Cavalry with many of the existing headlines as the horse deck would be lower value (and therefore tend to win lowball and therefore play its headline first), someone has just posted a T8 deck that had a strong answer to the challenges I laid out! :slight_smile:

I thought it might appeal to you for both the headline use and the draw structure.

• Putting the Pieces together used (with Jia Mein Exp to fetch it), as Iā€™ve seen you make use of it too.
  • Very loose draw structure to help with Putting the Pieces Together means youā€™ll also win low-ball and can play your Nightmare at Noon before their Calling the Cavalry.
  • They only play one match against Morgan Regulators, but it goes exactly as youā€™d expect: ā€œWhen he tried to stop a Fiddle game job, I had a Nightmare at Noon in hand, which shut out his Calling the Cavalry, blunting his attack.ā€

http://dtdb.co/en/decklist/2401/the-long-con-huddersfield-euro-2017-8th-place-

1 Like

Heh, maybe I should come over next time with my PTPT MCC deck I played last year but this time, I wonā€™t drop out to spare you all the embarrassment :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

interestingly I suspect your deck is much weaker to this than my deck is. Iā€™m not sure my array of 4 and 5 studs would care much for nightmare.

1 Like

100% agree. Iā€™d have to rely on leaving a stud out of the shootout and then bringing him/her in (assuming Iā€™d even spotted Nightmare at Noon coming), making the Grey Man in to a stud or using one of my only two (!) copies of LeMat Revolver to get myself out of range.

Fair to say that this would be likely to wreck me unless the above unfolded or I gut lucky and hit Nightmare at Noon with a Sight Beyond Sightā€¦

I think most horse decks would struggle against it as most easily accessible studs via starting posses/the Regulator outfit ability are two bullets. On top of that it is hard to fit in weapons to boost bullet ratings as your horses are eating up your Heart slots (my 3/6/7 deck at least had shotguns to add to the LeMats, but my 6/7/K version doesnā€™t!).

As in many ways (e.g. against Control) your Robo-regulator version is far more resilient than my deck due to Yagnā€™s Mechanical Skeleton. I like that thereā€™s a variety of approaches that can be taken here. :slight_smile:

Unsurprisingly, people on flesh and blood horses are less resilient than people encased in giant clanking robot suits when the town is turned in to a nightmare of blood sucking tumbleweeds.

3 Likes

At the risk of sounding like a broken recordā€¦

Since you all saw a few Full Moon Brotherhood decks at the tournament, how did they end up playing?

1 Like

One of the FMB Brotherhood decks finished in the T4, so they certainly placed well. :slight_smile:

As for playing: Iā€™m afraid I canā€™t offer any perspective on what they were like to play as I didnā€™t pilot one, but the ability was more of an irritation to me playing MCC as I wasnā€™t starting Jake Smiley and it normally just switched off Irvingā€™s cost rock gain (if anything). However, from speaking to people I know both the inability to refuse callouts and the ability to turn off traits had a big impact in a number of games. One Edinburgh player specifically built a back-up posse in case he faced FMB (Iā€™d incorrectly predicted it would prove just as unpopular as it did in the last few 2016 sheriffs, delighted to be proved wrong).

Sorry if Iā€™ve misunderstood the question!