Doomtown Reloaded: Rules Compendium 0.5 (new erratas)

Page 10 under Traits:

Traits appear below keywords on certain cards, and are written in plain text. Traits are only in
effect in the following scenarios:
 While the card is in play.
 If the trait modifies the normal procedure for playing that card or another card.
 If the trait modifies the normal procedure for using an ability

Thanks, we already discussed it on discord. I am not sure if Disgenuine Currency Press is going to work as intended with this set of rules though.

Hmm, so card is discarded, trait is not active from the discard pile since the card is not in play, it does not modify the normal procedure for playing a card, and it does not modify the normal procedure for using an ability. Good catch, the second trait on that card does nothing and does not work.

I believe it fixes the Mario Crane Exp issue:

His Trait modifies the normal procedure for playing another card (Sloane) and so is in effect.

We will work to make sure the card works as intended. At worst, we’ll do a technical errata to have the trait kick off. Most likely something along the lines of “Before this Gadget is discarded from play, its owner draws a card.”

Good catch though!

2 Likes

@swider I can tell you that the currency press will work as intended with a simple errata (we will add it to our list of cards to look at)

2 Likes

I think that traits that say “after this card gets discarded” or similar could create some special timing window for themselves, so there is possiblity of amending the rules so DCG would work as intended.
The same goes for Doomsday Supplay, if there would be the rule that says : “improvements with shootout ability on them should be considered to be at shootout location during each shootout”, no errata or ruling would be necessary.

My only worry is that if too many cards get errata it is going to be confusing for everybody.

Umm… Even at 3 GR with 0 influence, Rico is still friggin’ good. I mean, looking at your opponents hand and then adjusting your starting posse = full knowledge of first turn board state. I think the errata puts him in the perfect zone of seriously playable but not auto included.

1 Like

Yeah, I won’t be taking him out of my Den deck just because he’s zero influence. That was just a bonus; not his true utility.

Example being: what about Genesee “Gina” Tailfeathers? Same cost, same influence, weaker ability: no complaint.

1 Like

I loves me some Gina
(full disclosure - I’m biased, but she’s great, really she is)

Seriously, I always find Travis a ‘baby with the bathwater’ solution to grifting - no guarantee that you’ll get what you need on the redraw, and you could get the same crapola again. Admittedly, Travis + PHR = studly goodness. But mostly what I want out of my grifter is MORE CARDS.

5 dudes in the posse.
5 cards in my draw hand
discard 1 to draw 2.

Now my deck is down to 42 cards and between my opening hand plus Gina I’ve seen 7 of my 49 non-starter cards.

If I have one good card, I can keep it and dig for something else to get me rolling along.

1 Like

She can also combo well with The Fixer in a Den deck. Early game increased hand size can also make ‘Aces’ a first turn threat. I’ll just say, where Rico is very good when you want to see and set up for your opponent, usually for early game dominance/aggression, Gina is great for combo decks and she really shows strong when you drop a joker from hand, giving you a hand of 6 vs a hand of 4. You can even have Rico pull her into play if you see a joker in your starting hand.

2 Likes

Gina sees almost no play whatsoever. She’s seriously underpowered.

My opinion is: if a grifter only sees play in a Den deck due to the discount, then they’re otherwise underpowered.

2 Likes

Most of the grifters are overcosted, mainly because they do not have influence. Hopefully legend cards are going to help with it.

I disagree. I think Travis is perfectly balanced :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Indeed, if there are going to be 1GR bullet catchers then Travis at 2GR makes sense.

You still see Andrew Burton occasionally in both Judge Harry Exp Blitz (enables early jobs) and LD Blessed (because unlike other skilled factions LD don’t have a 3GR/4GR dude with skill and influence).

Grifters seemed to see a bit more play earlier in the game’s life (better choice available now?). I personally feel 2GR is an interesting sweet spot for them without influence: +1GR over Willa Mae McGregor/Henry Moran (fine inclusions to clog up Townsquare and discard in case of a tied shootout) to get a better start feels balanced and like an interesting strategic choice.

I also don’t know if I’d buy the strongest version of @db0’s “if a grifter is only seen in Den of Thieves then it is underpowered”. If you love the fixer he’s a natural in Den (over the other Sloane Homes) and if you’re all about T1 action jobs then playing him out of Den makes sense. That said, The Fixer is faction aligned, so I think it is a reasonable general rule for drifter grifters (apologies for the rhyme).

Den’s grifter discount probably makes things a little tougher for design too.

Well, I said most of them not all of them :). Ben is even better than Travis.

2 Likes

You sure it’s “most of them” though? Travis, Rico, Benji, Burton, Funtime one are all seeing significant play and I think Butch is pretty good as well. Ol’ Howard is also seeing play in very specific decks that use him (as was the plan). Only Gina, the Howard and Fixer are considered overcosted, or not?

2 Likes

I’d say only Gina and Aswell are overcosted. As much as I don’t like Andrew Burton he does get used quite a bit, and the rest are all decent to good.

Atm Rico, Howard, Gina , Fixer, Butch IMO are , and Andrew is 50-50, as LD are expenisive and starting a dude with 0 influence is a bit risky.
Good to see you back, hopefully I’ll see you soon looking for a game on OCTGN :slight_smile:

1 Like