FAQ & collected rulings

I was just explaining myself :), I realised that if someone reads my posts above it might seem that I suggest/imply that the rule has changed at some point, I just wanted to clarify that it was me not knowing about it.

Here @davido4015 quoted the FAQ v.4 that has yet another form of this rule:

If at any point before casualties are taken there is only one posse with dudes left in the shootout, the shootout immediately ends and that posse wins.

Here it’s not just “Step 1. Make Plays” and “Step 4. Reveal and Resolve”, here it’s also “Step 2. Pick Yer Shooter” and “Step 3. Draw!”, for what it’s worth.

Warren Graves can use his ability even if the only dude in your posse is about to get discarded / aced / sent home. This will not end the shootout immediately, and Warren will end up in the posse. (Source)

Now I see why AGOT differentiates Response and Interrupt actions :smile:

Idol of Tlazolteotl

To attach something legally means to attach it to something it could legally attach to as it enters play. (Source)

Remember folks: every time you boot a deed with Legal Instruments attached, that’s you pushing one honest goods card beyond the law!

1 Like

So for Totems it means you have to have unbooted Shaman you control at the location?

I think it’s different, but worth asking anyway I guess. I did.

You were right.

Q: Does this mean that I can only re-attach Totems to locations I control where I have an unbooted Shaman?

A: That is correct. The Idol does not allow you to move any attachment to a location where it could not go if you were playing it at the time.

Q: Does this also mean that in order to re-attach an Improvement gadget to another deed I need to have an unbooted mad scientist in a location I control?

A: No, because that’s not a requirement for attaching the deed. There is no requirement when attaching an improvement that you have an unbooted mad scientist at the location.

So for playing Totem spells there is a requirement to have an unbooted Shaman in a location you control, while for inventing Improvement gadgets there is no requirement, but you must boot a Mad Scientist in a location you control as a cost.

Omg, this is so weird. Hate this very much.

Do we have exact definitions of cost and requirment?

Cost of inventing gadget is to boot mad scientist at the location you control. Normally a cost is in bold on cards, and the first sentence is a requirement.

Costs are: ghost rock cost, the word “Boot” before the colon, “do X to do Y” format, and ‘booting a mad scientist in a location you control’.

I am not sure if making a pull for a skill check when casting a spell is also part of the cost, the rulebook does not say so explicitly.

Note that if the word “Pull” comes before the colon, it is not considered to be part of the cost, but rather part of the effect. (Source)

The word “requirement” is used in different contexts, usually it refers to the “first sentence after the colon”. I couldn’t find it anywhere that “After this is invented, attach it to a Ranch that you control” or “Can only attach to a dude with Kung Fu” are requirements.

Rules for Kung Fu say:

A technique is a special kind of action card that requires you to choose a Kung Fu dude and have them succeed a Kung Fu Test in order to play.

Rules for Totems say:

Some Totems may have further restrictions on the locations to which they can be attached, such as only to deeds, or only to your home.

So maybe the Rules Team member wanted to say “restrictions” instead of “requirements”?

And what about attaching goods. Is unbooted dude in location you control a requirment to attach a good? How is it different from reattaching totems?

Searching for the word ‘restriction’ revealed the following:

Spell: All spells have restrictions on who can attach them. Only Hucksters can attach Hexes, only Blessed can attach Miracles, and only Shamans can attach Spirits. Attach the card to one of your unbooted dudes at a location you control (the dude must be able to attach that card). The card sticks with them. A dude can attach any number of spell cards.

So totem ruling should reverse Jia’s one, as well as Store + spells. Goods are still under question.

Why? Connect the dots.

All spells have restrictions on who can attach them. Only Hucksters can attach Hexes, only Blessed can attach Miracles, and only Shamans can attach Spirits. Attach the card to one of your unbooted dudes at a location you control (the dude must be able to attach that card). The card sticks with them. A dude can attach any number of spell cards.

Totems:

Unlike a normal Spirit, when a Totem enters play it must be attached to a location you control, at which you have an unbooted Shaman. Some Totems may have further restrictions on the locations to which they can be attached, such as only to deeds, or only to your home.

Is my english really bad and only me cannot distinguish intent of the instances? It looks identical to me. Unbooted dude in location you control is requirement in both cases.

I have no idea what you mean, but I’ll try to make things clear.

In order for you to attach a spell to a dude, that dude must be unbooted and in a location you control. Call it a restriction, a requirement, or whatever.

In order to attach a Totem to a location, you need to control that location and have an unbooted Shaman there.

Now, there is a rule that says card effects can attach goods and spells to dudes, even if they are booted and in uncontrolled locations. This rule does not cover attaching anything to deeds.

General Store can attach spells to a booted shaman in town square.

General Store cannot attach Totems to locations that you don’t control, or where you don’t have an unbooted shaman.

General Store cannot attach Legal Instruments to a booted deed, or an out-of-town deed, or a deed that you don’t control.

And neither can Idol of Whatever .

Yep, I agree with Mplain, there is consistency here. The rules are bit to complex though, I would prefer more text on the cards in two distinct paragraphs so cost/requirements are in one and ability or abilities are in the other one.

Now, I’m not saying that I like it this way, oh no. I don’t like that what’s true for spells is not true for gadgets, one thing is a requirement and another thing is a cost. And I don’t like the way General Store works in general. But yeah, in the context of the ‘british legal system of precedents’, there is consistency here.

1 Like

I liked the way you explained the rules. I also said the rules are too complex, and sometimes really confusing, for instance MS has to be at location he controls as a part of a cost is pure LOL, but the rules team said they have to obey the rules as written in the rulebook.

Pettigrew’s Pawnshop will trigger off of non-gadget goods entering play via Junior, General Store, and other similar effects (basically “attach” = “play” in this context). (Source)

EDIT: oh, that’s from Faith & Fear, so shouldn’t be here.