Origins (2018) - chance to break out your Doomtown Classic decks too

Hi folks!

I’m looking forward to meeting you at Origins 2018. It’ll be my first DT:R official event! I’m a GM at Origins, and the group I’m going with dedicates our time to independent, dead, and forgotten CCGs (we’re connected to Shadowfist officially, but do a bunch of other games).

Our plan is to have a “dead card games on demand” event on the Thursday night of Origins. We’re going to be bringing a vast collection of decks from CCGs that may have been long forgotten by many, but that we still love. We’ll be teaching these games, if folks want, but also playing them if others show up.

This is a long-winded way of saying that if you’re going to go to Origins, and you have decks from the old Doomtown game floating around, toss a couple in your bag and feel free to come out for some friendly games of old Doomtown. This event could also serve as a meetup for some friendly / casual DT:R (although it’s certainly not a dead CCG!)

6 Likes

Great idea and bravo for keeping the torch burning for lots of older games.

Abused my admin powers to add a note about Doomtown Classic to the subject line.

For the record, here is what we are planning on having on hand:

Call of Cthluhu LCG
Doomtown Classic
Legend of the Five Rings (old)
Romance of the Nine Empires
Shadowfist (we’re officially there as Shadowfist, and are running a tonne of learn to play events)
Star Wars (decipher)
The X-Files

The list continues to grow as some of our GMs pull stuff out of the closet and blow off the dust.

2 Likes

If my wife or I are in attendance (Alex is running the Name A Card event) one of us will bring enough Classic to run a Sealed event for those that want to check out the Gomorra of yesteryear :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I can check my old supplies

1 Like

Any folks here going to Origins willing to loan a guy a deck? I just saw the Kickstarter update that shipping won’t happen until August - I want to play in the tournament at Origins, but I currently own one copy of the base game, and that’s it. I was hoping to get the cards in time to have them for Origins.

Or, you know, I could just play with my Texas Rangers: Dixie Rails deck and see what happens :wink:

There will be loaners for Origins, as we plan to have for all events hosted by PBE :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@CrazyCatTim looks like I will be in attendance!

I’ll be at the CCG night on Thursday with you folks for Doomtown Classic. Working on having a Friday night social at Wolf’s Ridge Brewing and then Pine Box Entertainment will be hosting the Name A Card DTR tournament on Saturday at High Noon. See everyone then!

1 Like

Awesome. I’m eager to play some Classic doomtown, and I’ll certainly grab a loaner deck for the DTR tournament.

2 Likes

So is Thursday the earliest Doom Event?

I’ll be there! I’ll bring a couple of 7th Sea CCG decks as well. Maybe some Middle-Earth? Is that overkill?

2 Likes

One of my Shadowfist pals loves Middle-Earth, so I’ll give him the heads up that there could be some Middle-Earth action. I would totally be up for learning 7th Sea

Jordan, the Thursday isn’t a Doomtown event per se but it looks like there will be a pretty solid classic Doomtown contingent.

I have plans to play classic Doomtown, X-Files (I promised a pal at least one round of it), and the Decipher Star Wars game. It looks like Vampire: The Eternal Struggle has a very solid fan base at Origins, so I think they might show up to this event as well!

2 Likes

I’m a Middle-Earth neophyte but I have a deck. If your friend’s looking for action, I think they’ll be disappointed. 7th Sea, though, I can DO.

Hey folks - a quick update. The Dead Card Games On Demand event on Thursday night, with the chance for Doomtown Classic is also a stealth event for a podcast meetup - we’re just splitting the table space. I’m letting you know this because the event may appear sold out at the Origins registration, because the podcast people are grabbing tickets for it. If it appears sold out, it actually isn’t, in reality, and you can still feel free to swing by and play whatever old CCG you want to!

1 Like

Thanks for the update Tim!

Pine Box now has a table for the entire convention so we may have some impromptu pods of games going on in the open play space as well throughout the weekend!

2 Likes