Post GenCon fiction part 2

I must confess I preferred the first part - it felt more like a fight, but perhaps that had an easier set of dudes to write or this was an attempt to capture the chaos of the fighting. Law Dogs seemed to get the worst of it despite coming out ahead in the tournament.

Shame the Sheriff died without seeing an experienced version! I liked him from classic and in the new game, shame to see him go out early.

Wild speculation: Abram Grothe isn’t wearing a bade in either of his first two cards, but it looks like he might be on The Light Shineth (gusessing it’s Grother as he has a sword). Maybe just a deputy’s badge, maybe a sheriff’s badge!

abram · DoomtownDB - basic, no badge
Abram Grothe (Exp.1) · DoomtownDB - experienced, no badge
http://www.alderac.com/doomtown/products/ - The Light Shineth Abram Grothe art (?) - first badge sighting!

1 Like

Law Dogs seemed to get the worst of it despite coming out ahead in the tournament.

What do you mean? That is circus which dominated in whole tournament and fulfill half of top cut.

Grothe seems a practical successor. We’ve had earlier fic (forget which) that demonstrated Dave relied on him a lot. On top of that Wendy, the other clear choice, has already demonstrated reluctance to take the spot. I have a pretty hard time seeing it being anyone other than the 2 of them at this point.

I bet that Nic will force Rafi into sherriff’s place.

1 Like

I don’t get it. The town of Gomorra has been guarded by the Sheriff and his Deputies, and harassed by Sloane and her Gang. These two patries regularly killed each other. Just recently the bandits attacked the town during the election day and killed many innocent bystanders. Then they caught Philip Swinford and presumably shot him too. And now, after the Sheriff caught and hanged one of the bandits, the rest are all like righteous fury, justice must be served, you killed one of ours, poor Lawrence will be avenged. Wuuut?

Ok, maybe Sloane herself is acting under some external influence. But what about others? Why does Alice Stowe want to “make ‘em pay for hanging poor Lawrence”?? One low-value bandit got hanged, and suddenly all bandits feel a great injustice? wtf?

All that, considering that at the start of the game we were led to believe that Sloane is ‘more that just a bloodthirsty bandit’. Bah!

1 Like

He was their friend and comrade-in-arms. It’s one thing to have a friend fall in battle (though did a Sloaner die in the EDS?) but another to have him taken from you and strung up.

They’re outlaws, with a tight code and bond. They shouldn’t be expected to follow larger morality. One of their friends is worth 100 of anyone else to them. Also, I don’t see what his mechanical value has to do with it - this is the story side of things. Hell, if he’s one of their weaker members they might have felt an obligation to protect him.

Apologies for the ambiguity! They got three kills to Sloane’s two in the tournament.

I don’t remember Lawrence being influential story-wise. He is of low value from the flavor point of view as well.

These bandits don’t act like bandits. They act like anime teenagers. Got hulk, will smash!

First fiction was definitely better imho. Either way though it was cool to read about the kills from Gencon. Poor Montreal… Someone poor out a shot of whiskey for that bastard!

Blood, guts, and glory!

I’ll have to agree, Sky Full of Stars was a better piece, but I also accept that Sky was allowed to take more time for the set up and confrontation, Streets has to hit the ground running because the cards have moved the story up to the point of the confrontation.

Deaths felt both earned and unearned, but that’s just the nature of the game, not everything can be an epic brawl.(poor, poor Elmore) I am a bit disappointed at Dave biting the dust, as much as the Law Dogs have been in the limelight I really never got a good feeling for him, he was kind of a cardboard cut out of a figure, so while it’s disappointing that he’s been aced I can’t really say I feel all that much remorse. Be interesting to see who the new sheriff is, though yeah, Light Shineth seems to imply Abram might take the reigns, or at least he’s going remain a major player.

As for why Sloane is freaking out over Lawrence’s death. The whole point of the gang is to show they’re the top dogs in town, they’re all taking his death personally, even if he wasn’t a big figure in the gang, because their ideology is that any infraction against them means they need to respond with extreme prejudice. Sloane says it herself, eye for an eye, well they take the whole head. They’re trying to prove they -rule- the town, so it wouldn’t matter who the Dogs killed, the show of force would have been the same.

Very curious what the force behind Sloane is, both the character and who is bankrolling the gang.

I wonder who Ramiro was chasing and what Andreas was attempting to do… Pulling some sort of wire?

This was all over very quickly and had a lot of story to tell. It would have been nice to learn more about Ramiro’s back story. Very gruesome deaths!

Law Dogs better be careful with the three that they captured… If this is how Sloane is going to react to just one casualty.

I think Andreas was trying to start his Auto-Revolver

Sounded like a Bio-Charged Neutraliser failing it’s experimental pul to me

Actually, reading it again, it sounds more like an Asyncoil gun!

1 Like

I was actually picturing a flamethrower m’self.

Also, the IOUF fiction pretty firmly points to who the next sheriff is (not that it was hard to guess).

2 Likes

Yeah, that one… I got my gadgets mixed up :cry:

1 Like

In hindsight i liked both story pieces.
Sky full of stars was an epic battle with grizzled veterans fighting to the death against abominations, Streets run red really showed the chaos of innocent / unexperienced bystanders, office-men and technicians getting killed left and right.

Sad to see Dave go, i really liked him as the guy that held the town together, which then proved futile…
(still trying to use him in some decks)

Ramiro had a really bad day there though, seems his Karma got him in the end.

Now to build a blessed Abram (liked that part alot) and Wendy anti-Sloane Deck and get those bastards :smiley:

2 Likes