Q&A Thread for the New Doomtown Base Set

Well, we’ve got Jessica instead of Sloane. That’s a pretty good hint something isn’t returning.

1 Like

Yeah noticed that. Maybe Legendary Holster got “axed” (I know it was reviled in Europe…) - what else can you spoil!?

2 Likes

I can drop the bombshell that Auction isn’t being reprinted :open_mouth:

3 Likes

Bummer because it might actually interact meaningfully with this Townsquare!

Uploading the card images so you don’t have to make do with video captures! :slight_smile:

Hope all is well/bearable.

5 Likes

Will confirm the only PBE era card being affected is Decimator Array, which is getting a ban and replace with See-Through Spectacles.

AEG era reprint and MRP list still to be revealed. Legendary Holster is gone.

3 Likes

Story wise, where does the new base set start from?

1 Like

The story will be set in 1882, and will be focused on events in and around the town of Deadwood. There will be familiar faces with updated flavour text to give hints at what’s going on back in Gomorra and elsewhere.

4 Likes

Jessica: “I’ve moved on from that life…”
Also Jessica: is a 5-stud with a Noon Boot to attack highest bullet dude…

2 Likes

Sometimes it’s necessary to convince people you’ve moved on? With lethal force, if that’s what it takes …

5 Likes

To some, getting dragged back in to a life of violence is a cliche. And indeed a cliche particularly common in Westerns. To me, it is a beloved trope. :wink:

5 Likes

This also gives me an excuse to link to this excellent exhibition of Westerns reimagined with female leads again! Sadly there isn’t one for Unforgiven.

http://felicehouse.com/gallery/re_western/

3 Likes

Ok.

How does 2-vs-1 work?

Do they start with a free Boss character? How does the solo person balance for that? Extra cards? Twice the Noon actions? More ghost rock?

Is there going to be 4-vs-1? I want to take on ALL of the Berkeley Boys at once (we got a new recruit!)!

2 Likes

1 player has the Boss character. Full details will be in the new rulebook.
While it’s balanced for 2v1 we may have online variants for how to work in 4v1 but not in the printed rulebook since the intent is for a 3 player mode.

3 Likes

A special preview of the Doomtown card sleeves add-ons in the upcoming Base Set Kickstarter August 17! One for each faction will be made available pardners!

5 Likes

Any other questions let us know pardners; we launch on Tuesday!

New thread up on the additional formats

1 Like

FAQ FOR KS WHEN LIVE
What is Doomtown Online?
Doomtown Online is a way for you to play Doomtown against players around the world via a browser based virtual format. This is free to use and you can import decks from the Doomtown Database deckbuilder at dtdb.co. All Kickstarter backers will receive special digital perks (card backs, promo versions, play area images, tokens) exclusive to this Kickstarter once the final version of Doomtown Online is ready. Additional expansions on Doomtown: Online as the game grows will be free to use and the only monetary charges will be for additional vanity items. You can test it out now and learn more about it here:
Home - Pine Box Entertainment

Where can I learn more about the alternate formats?
More on the alternate format are detailed in this article over at the PBE forums

Where can I find the Kung Fu updates?
A specific article on the Anarchist faction will be posted as a Kickstarter update as part of a series of updates that focus on each of the 6 factions.

Shipping costs/arrangements: will it increase if I add more stuff?
Shipping can increase based on weight and we will work with our partners at Studio 2 to ensure shipping costs are accurate; this is not something we ever want to make money on.

How is this different from AEG’s DT:R?
PBE continued DT:R (Doomtown: Reloaded) with the release of There Comes A Reckoning followed by Too Tough to Die, Out for Blood, Hell’s Comin’ With Me, and Welcome to Deadwood. Weird West Edition replaces the original Base Set with updated versions of existing cards and adds new cards, while staying compatible with the entire DT:R line. Our full announcement for this project can be found here:

Will my old Doomtown: Reloaded/Doomtown cards be compatible?
100% compatible with updated versions of some cards being featured in this new edition

What is a pledge manager and how does it work?
A pledge manager is the system used at the end of the Kickstarter that allows you to add ‘a la carte’ additional items you did not pay for in your initial pledge and to collect shipping. This provides PBE with our final numbers for the production run and allows you to later customize the Doomtown items you want after the Kickstarter ends. It also allows you to update your address if that changes between the end of the Kickstarter and when PBE ships your rewards.

Can I make a low pledge, and upgrade later?
Absolutely! Click on ‘manage your pledge’ and update to a new reward level. The system will track if you backed in the first 24 hours for the Faster on the Draw promos, which will also be available as add-ons in the pledge manager.

How do I purchase the add-ons that are not included in the tier I chose?
For all add-ons you can either add the extra money manually into your pledge or wait until the pledge manager is live where you can customize the items you want.

Can I combine (the benefits of) multiple pledges into one?
There is no way to combine pledges but you can add items into the pledge manager.

How much is needed to play/to have a “complete” collection, e.g. what is the difference between Old Timer and Weird West?
You can play with just one base set of Weird West Edition. To have every existing Doomtown product from 2014 forward you will want to pledge the Old Timer level. There will be 2 legalities for organized play moving forward: Old Timer and Weird West Edition. Weird West Edition includes this new Base Set, There Comes A Reckoning, Too Tough to Die, Out for Blood, Hell’s Comin’ With Me, Welcome to Deadwood, and any future expansions.
Old Timer format is all of the above cards plus the original AEG line of 18 expansions and cards in the original Base Set not updated in Weird West Edition. The full line of cards can be viewed at the Doomtown Database (Card Search · DoomtownDB)

Will there be further Doomtown expansions after Doomtown: Weird West Edition? How frequently will you release expansions? Will they be Kickstarted too?
Our future expansions will continue our ‘red box’ line, and continue to be themed to different city locations. Too Tough to Die, Out for Blood, and Hell’s Comin’ With Me featured the Tombstone storyline that continued into Deadwood and Welcome to Deadwood. Each expansion features 4x copies of 56 unique cards. Expansions will continue through regular distribution to retailers and our online store; they will not be done through Kickstarter. We plan on releasing the 2nd themed Deadwood expansion in 2022 with expansions following into 2023 and beyond as we continue to explore the Weird West.

How many cards will fit in the box unsleeved/sleeved?
We do not have the exact specifications yet from the manufacturer, however, one box of Doomtown: Weird West Edition will all fit sleeved into the There Comes A Reckoning box and we anticipate this box to measure 19520870mm. We recommend additional storage boxes for those including all of the original AEG expansions or two sets of Doomtown: Weird West edition.

Will there be versions in other languages?
We are currently contracting a sublicense for a French version of the game, however we are not involved in that publication or distribution as this will be handled by Black Book Editions.

Will you answer my questions in Private Messages?
Yes, but this does take time and we highly recommend utilizing the Doomtown Discord Server linked at the bottom of the KS page. A full list of our social media outlets can be found here:
http://forums.pineboxentertainment.com/t/pine-box-entertainment-doomtown-social-media-and-stores/4170/4

Will this be sold in retail?
Yes, there is a retail pledge level and we plan on releasing Doomtown: Weird West Edition into distribution post Kickstarter.

What will be the difference between backing now and buying in retail?
If your retailer also pledged they will receive the Faster on the Draw promos and retailers will also have access to the playmat and card sleeves. The coin will be KS exclusive as well as the digital rewards.

Will there be an updated pack for ‘just the new cards’?
We want to offer you an amazing experience with the new Weird West Edition that entices both new and existing players. Due to minimum production runs, we cannot promise a separate add-on or availability for just the brand new cards.

How many cards have never before been released?
There are over 40 brand new cards and over 75 updated cards. Plus, all of the Town Square markers and Event cards for alternate play modes are brand new to enhance your Doomtown experience.

Where can I see some of the cards and what does the Deadlands watermark (symbol underneath the card text) mean?
The watermark denotes cards that have been functionally updated from the original printed version of the card in previous sets. Spoilers are currently being tracked on the Pine Box Entertainment forums:

2 Likes

FINAL 24 HOURS!!!

1 Like