Question about Tin Star

So the preview card Bloody Star makes me ask the question should Tin Star be a attire ? ( i am not gonna keep my rant up that it should give the Deputy keyword that is another thread entirely)

2 Likes

Excellent topic for discussion Will. Moved back to General (no question for RT). I’m curious what would have been different in base set had the Attire keyword existed from the conception of the game.

Good question. Traditionally goods that give influence bonuses have been termed ‘Attires’ throughout the game.

1 Like

its a very loose term as both baiju jar and decimator array and both attires.

Attire seems to be very closely tied to specificly goods, that attach to dudes, that positively affect influence. The only 2 dude attachment goods that increase influence that arnt attire are Ballot Counter and Idol of Tlazolteotl. Tin star I think would make a good attire that increased influence on a condition, perhaps something like the jail, where if a wanted dude is removed permanently increase the tin stars influence bonus. Importantly, this would allow non Law Dogs to consider this goods.

If memory serves… Idol was meant to be more Eagle Wardens support, fueling their ‘having influence bonuses during high noon only’ and not a static bonus, so it didn’t make sense to give it the attire keyword. Also, visually it didn’t look like an attire. About those visuals…

With ballot counter, this was the first of its kind, and before the keyword had existed. Pb1 brought in Outlaw mask, Sb4-6 brought in Fancy New Hat and Dog’s Duster, which were intended to be pieces of clothing to boost your influence. I think that’s the loose history of how it happened.

I guess the question that this question raised is when is the base set going to be rotated out and or updated? ( several people in my play group have asked me this question as other LCGs have rotated out the base set and or updated it Netrunner being the most notable example)

also I guess I know what I’m going to do if I ever get to name a card or make a card I’m going to make a experience Tin Star :grin:

1 Like

FWIW

Base → Later
Tin Star → Blood Star
Whiskey Flask → Baiju Jar

TL;DR attires were not designed nor developed until after the base set and first saddlebag arc.
I don’t see ret-conning the first 2 - leave 'em as ‘pieces of metal that do stuff’ and the BS/BJ as ‘later goods that do better stuff.’

I agree about not necessarily changing what these cards do as that is a completely different thread of thought i feel like updating keywords on cards is a different situation kind of like merfolk decks in Magic the Gathering change radically when the Lord of Atlantis became a merfolk instead of a" lord"

Tin Star is one of those cards I never use, but then I see a bounty blitz deck use it and say “oooh… thats what it does”. Any buff to the star is a buff to turn 1 shootouts, and i don’t think we need that.

While giving Tin Star the attire keyword would be nice, it is already outclassed by Wendy’s Teethkickers as a 9s influence attire. I think Tin Star will find a home as more bounty huntin’ dudes (like Hattie and Thunder Boy) come out. Heck The Arsenal with Framed can use Tin Star pretty well.

1 Like

Arsenal, Tin Star, Framed & Culpability Scientizer all work nicely together.

1 Like