Reach for the Stars

Originally published at: http://gomorragazette.com/2016/04/18/reach-for-the-stars/
by Doomdog

Today I focus on the often under utilized Tin Star. The lawkeeper’s badge of authority is a western icon, and Doomtown: Reloaded included its card in the base set. Despite the wanted tech that synergizes with the Law Dogs, Tin Star does not often find its way into Dog decks. So why doesn’t a card that helps start shootouts see much play?

Nines have typically been an inconsistent value to build Lawdogs decks around. Xiong “Wendy” Cheng and Sister Mary Gideon are solid but expensive to play, as are two of the deeds at the nine spot. The actions are hit-and-miss. Tail Between Yer Legs helps Law Dogs shooters, but Cheatin’ Varmint remains one of the weaker Cheatin’ Resolutions. Most popular Law Dogs archetypes focus on aggressive jobs that remove opposing influence, bypassing the need for callouts entirely (some examples here and here).

Not only is Tin Star off value for typical Dog builds, the card doesn’t do anything on its own since it requires opposing dudes becoming wanted in the first place. Unless you’re playing against a Sloane deck or an aggressive deck packing plenty of Kidnappin’s, then you’ve only had a few options outside of the Law Dogs’ original home for spreading bounties around. Andrew Burton only triggers at the start of the game, while Lucinda “Lucy” Clover needs to be in a shootout against a cheatin’ opponent. Ebenezer Springfield lacks influence making him a risky starting play. Tresspassin’ is an okay option, but its low value becomes a liability in Arsenal or Crusaders gadget or spell decks. Confession requires booting a Blessed to use it and can fail crucial miracle pulls. The Evidence is a decent option, but self-acing. If your opponent keeps playing a steady stream of dudes, you’ll run out of evidence before long. Playing it outside of Dogs makes setting it up even harder.

The recent Ghost Town pine box provides a new option for making dudes wanted. Framed shares a value with Tin Star. Like Tresspassin’, Framed comes with a choice for your opponent. Maximize this card’s value by creating tough dilemmas. This is where Tin Star shines. Do they take the bounty and be at risk of future irrefusable callouts, or do they pay the ghost rock and boot their dude? Target the right dude and this causes real headaches for your opponent, especially if you’ve got abilities that help you chase down wanted dudes such as The Arsenal or Bluetick. If you can make key dudes wanted and limit your opponent’s safe havens, you control the game and can press your advantage. Framed also nicely sets up Bounty Hunter and supplements Too Much Attention.

Now the pieces come together to form an aggressive control deck that dishes out bounties and shoots to remove influential dudes. As Framed is an action, it makes it easier to run bounty tech in non-Law Dog outfits too. Here’s a deck that illustrates a use of Tin Star. Bluetick chases down a wanted dude then Morgan Stables immediately reacts to issue a callout that can’t be refused:

No Tresspassin’!

So, any of you gunslingers have any cool ideas or decks that make use of Tin Star, or maybe you’ve played with it all along and have some stories to share?

4 Likes

Cool!

Well done Doomdog - I like the way you use the cards and the first time I see a ‘real’ deck using tresspassing!

1 Like

One thought I’ve just had is that if more people ran Tin Star in their decks, would it discourage shootouts at Private deeds?

Alas, I doubt even that would make Auction worth playing…

3 Likes

I’m taking out some of the off values (LeMat, Shotgun, etc.) and going for the all around hoser ability of No Funny Stuff.

1 Like