Rulebook 1.2 and Inventing

Here Re: Attaching as part of an Ability or Trait crx3800 answered:

"The cost of inventing is now only to boot the scientist and make the pull.

Since the normal goods rules say you have to be in a location you control, those were omitted from the inventing rules. This still falls in line."

But rulebook 1.2 says:

The cost of inventing a Gadget is as follows:

1. Boot your Mad Scientist in a location you control,
  2. Pay the Gadget’s ghost rock cost,
  3. Then perform a skill test using the dude’s Mad Scientist skill rating.

So “in location you control” should be removed from “1) Boot your Mad Scientist in a location you control” as “normal goods rules say you have to be in a location you control” and leave Inventing costs as boot/pay/pull only? In such way:

1. Boot your Mad Scientist.
  2. Pay the Gadget’s ghost rock cost,
  3. Then perform a skill test using the dude’s Mad Scientist skill rating.

I wanted to comment in addition to this with two cases. Janosz Pratt allows you to invent without booting as a shootout play; this bypasses the ‘boot in a location you control’ step of inventing and skips to the pull, so can this ability therefore be used in an uncontrolled location like town square?

Similarly, Maggie allows you to attach a horse to any of your dudes. Would this allow you to attach a mechanical horse to a Mad Scientist in an uncontrolled location? What would happen if so, would they be unable to boot and thus the play fizzles?

I will revisit looking at rulebook 1.2. I believe some of the May 1 errata from Aeg may not have translated properly.

I will confirm with an answer later.

It appears there were several reasons this accidentally got omitted. It was only in the final errata AEG did before they canceled the game. Since they took down their forums, there has been no easy way to reference the errata because it wasn’t fully assembled into the FAQ.

We are currently working on an update. Expect to see the change soon.

3 Likes