Structure As A Theme

I’ve mulled this over the last week and have recently put thought to keyboard about what possibilities lay in store for future Doomtown expansions. One aspect of the game that Jordan Caldwell had discussed quite thoroughly in one article was about structure. It covered how players should typically build their deck in accordance with choosing two or three values and base their play strategy around those builds. This encourages players to optimize their hand ranks in shootouts by maximizing their odds of revealing either a Full House, 4-of-a-Kind or 5-of-a-Kind.

Now such is a good strategy in the current play environment, but to encourage more variety and creativity in deck builds may require new sets that outright shift the meta landscape into something that deconstructs traditional 2-3 Value builds. Now, some cards already exist that can chip at individual cards or give bonuses for revealing a non traditional hand(This’ll Hurt, Sight Beyond Sight, Comin’ Up Roses, etcetera). However, these cards are either circumstantial or require very specific deck builds to be maximally efficient.

What I propose for future expansions is to play on the very theme of structure and to do it in two ways: Punish your opponent’s structure and encourage non-traditional structure builds. Comin’ Up Roses is a nice start, but there is even more potential if the designers play their cards right- so-to-speak. Perhaps create something that aces cards in your opponent’s draw hand after the shootout or grants you control points if your draw hand reveals a flush of a particular suit.

The idea opens up a whole new window to deck building styles without changing any of the game’s fundamentals or adding new card types. In the long term, doing this can also prevent stagnation of the card pool as traditional structures can make a comeback in future sets.I’d like to get everyone else’s opinions on this.

3 Likes

I like building Dead Man’s Hand and Straight Flush decks, and encourage more variety in decktypes in general. I support the idea of more cards to help move away from 3-value decks, but I’m also against excessive and/or easy to access hand rank manipulation. One downside to a 3-value deck is the increased tendency to cheat during lowball and also, if always going for the highest rank hand regardless of legality, in shootouts. Perhaps more Cheatin’ Resolution cards in the same vein as Inner Struggle and Fool Me Once… would be one way to encourage less ‘traditional’ structures, or simply more punishing Cheatin Resolutions in general?

3 Likes

I’m glad there are a variety of draw structures doing well now - DMH has had tournament success and @shekky_ducky has shown straight flush can prosper at the highest levels.

I particularly like your ideas over in the other thread, as they take encouraging non straight flush builds beyond hand rank manipulation, which I’m keen not to be too big a feature of the game (Outgunned seems the best balanced example of that kind of card).

1 Like