The Mad Science of Making Cards: Part I

@BeastEG,
Any chance you could share “lessons learned” as regards kung-fu?

My experience is two-fold: First, I love the idea of “Ebb and Flow” where the strength of Combinations varies with the size of the discard, which is to say that being able to use Combinations to play cards from the discard pile as a single Play - ie. a Combo! - is a really cool idea. And to those that remember, I was not really a fan of Classic kung-fu, as all it really felt like was Spell cards that were made permanent with card memory. The Reloaded iteration of is really novel by comparison.

That said, even as an experienced player, Combinations are incredibly “clunky” as the cognitive load to not only understand the mechanics - let alone to strategize with them! - is tremendous so as to completely halt a game to a stop when they are employed beyond a single Technique pull.

So, in addition to lessons learned, do you think it would be possible to keep these same or similar thematic elements while minimizing the overwhelming cognitive load? Or do you feel Kung-fu would essentially warrant a complete redesign?

Cheers.

1 Like