Arnold McCadish and Takin' You With Me

From the rules:

For example, Arnold McCadish is worded “React, Pull, Boot: When a dude is discarded (not
aced) as a casualty in a shootout, if the pull is higher than the dude’s value, send that dude home
booted instead.” Once a player successfully uses Arnold to prevent a dude from being discarded,
no further Reacts can be used in response to that dude being discarded. Instead, Reacts could be
used in response to the dude being sent home booted.

Taking You With Me:

React: After you take casualties for losing a round of a shootout, your opponent takes 1 casualty unless each dude in their posse has higher bullets than the highest bullets among your casualties.

Can I play Taking You With Me after using Arnold’s ability?

Is “taking a casualty” and “discarding a dude as a casuality” the same event (which would be entirely replaced by Arnold’s react)? Or taking the casualty then resolving it are two separate events (so Arnold would only replace the second part, thus leaving the react window open for TYWM)?

Thank you

Yes, you can play Takin’ Ya With Me and use Arnold’s reaction in response to taking the casualty. Arnold specifies discarded dudes only because he cannot save dudes that have been aced to cover casualties.

So the casualty is still “taken”, only its effect is cancelled?

Correct, the Dude Arnold saved was still assigned as a casualty

Hello.

We actually have this one in the Compendium-

Card abilities that happen when a dude is being discarded or aced as a casualty (especially “healing” Reacts) can change or prevent the discard or acing from taking place, but that dude still counts for the purpose of fulfilling casualty numbers.