Beyond the Veil and Totem's "Controller"

Since Matilda, Alex, and Geronimo arrived (as well as spirits like Raven’s Ruin), the design space for Eagle Wardens has blown clean open. To boot, the “Spirit Fortress” archetype now has to evolve with the godsend errata to Nicodemus. I am currently experimenting with all of the homes (new and old) in light of of these developments. But all this is background to my question:

Can I plant a Totem on an opposing deed normally, leave, then step “Beyond the Veil” to return later if I don’t control that deed?

In short, who “controls” a Totem?

Here is the text:

Beyond the Veil
Noon, Boot: Boot a Totem you control to move one of your dudes to its location.

The Rulebook (version 1.4.0) is also unclear to me:

Section 7.2.3 Planting Totems
Totem is a keyword found on some Spirits, representing the charms and fetishes used by Shamans to focus their tribal spirits and ancestors at a chosen site.

Unlike a normal Spirit, when a Totem enters play it must be attached to a location you control, at which you have an unbooted Shaman. Some Totems may have further restrictions on the locations to which they can be attached, such as only to deeds, or only to your home.

Any Shaman at the same location may use a Totem, regardless of the Totem’s controller. A Shaman uses such a Totem in exactly the same way (and with the same clauses, costs, and/or restrictions) as they would a Spirit attached to them.

Follow-up question: Is the same true for Improvements (such as Auto-Cattle Feeder and Fate Dispenser?)

Cheers!

1 Like

Hello.

If you check under Owner and Controller in the rulebook, you’ll find-

If you control a dude or a deed, you also control all cards attached to that dude or deed (whether
or not you own any of those cards).

2 Likes