Claws and "Temporary" Abominations (Hawley's Rose, Vitality Tonic, Mason Adler)

For the record, asking here.

Claws:

This dude is a stud.

This card cannot be attached or traded to a dude without the Harrowed or Abomination keyword. This card cannot be affected by opposing card effects.

If there is an unbooted non-Melee Weapon in the opposing posse, Claws provides no bullet bonus and does not make this dude a stud.

Let us suppose that a dude (Mason Adler) has become an Abomination (say via the attachment of Hawley’s Rose or Vitality Tonic or by using Mason Adler’s ability). I then attach Claws to Mason (as a Shoppin’ play or through Concealed Weapons). Mason then stops becoming an Abomination (I trade my Hawley’s Rose to some other sucker / the shooutout ends.)

Do the Claws fall off?

(My initial thought was no, based on the fact that Hexes don’t fall off people whose Mayfair Family Deck is Unprepared… but that seems to be an AEG era ruling. Closest archive I could find was this BGG Thread: Unprepared on someone with Mayfair Family Deck. | Doomtown: Reloaded . Also, that involves attachments with potentially loaded keywords, where this case involves a good with specific trait text: “cannot be attached to”.)

I suppose the better question is: does “cannot be attached to” refer to specifically to the verb “attached”, or does it refer to the gamestate of being “attached”?

2 Likes

Wait why are you asking did you build a Mason Adler deck!?

2 Likes

Only one, ha! :wink: (I’m at three and counting… I may have a problem…)

1 Like

Attachment Limits
After each play, if a dude has more than the rulebook limit of a specific type of attachment (e.g. a
Attire, Horse, or Weapon), or does not meet the requirements to have a certain type of
attachment, the controller of that dude must discard any number of those attachments until legal.

Please be patient as Rules Team examines a possible rewording to make this clearer and how that may effect this ruling regarding Claws being on a Dude who is no longer an Abomination.

2 Likes

We will be updating the rulebook to make the following more clear to our intent, the intent of the Claws card, and follow the ruling on Full Moon Brotherhood v. Jack O Hara and John Aces Radcliffe.

Conditions will have their own definition and do not apply to the following.

Re: Attachments-

Attachment Limits and Illegal Attachments

After each play, if a dude has more than the rulebook limit of a type attachment (e.g. a Attire, Horse, or Weapon), the controller of that dude must discard any number of those attachments until legal.

After each play, if a dude does not meet the requirements to have an attachment, the controller of that dude must discard that attachment.

Once a Dude loses the Abomination keyword, the Claws fall off and go to discard.

3 Likes