Comin' Up Roses: Is a Straight Flush considered a "Legal Straight" or "Legal Flush"?

I have been assuming so, since a Straight Flush in Poker is both a Straight and a Flush. However, I can also see a reasonable alternate interpretation: that the card mentions two specific hands: Flush (rank 6) or Straight (Rank 5). It doesn’t mention the specific hand “Straight Flush” (Rank 9).

I think most people would assume SF is included in the card wording, but I know a few players who would probably try to argue otherwise if it came up. Any word on what’s intended?

2 Likes

Thanks for the question!

The answer for this is derived from the Rulebook and FAQ.

First off, we do distinguish between Straight Flush, Flush and Straight. (Rulebook pg 29)

Straight Flush: Contains 5 cards in sequential value, all of the same suit
Flush: Contains 5 cards of all the same suit, but not in sequence.
Straight: Contains 5 cards in sequential value, not all of the same suit.

So with this, a Straight Flush does not contain a Straight or Flush. For future card wording, templating that references hand ranks these will be the definitions that are used.

However, there is a FAQ entry on Comin’ Up Roses. (pg 23) that states:
For the Cheatin’ Resolution ability, a legal flush, legal straight, or a legal straight flush will earn the +2 hand rank effect.

The reason for this was intent of the card itself, before it was fully clarified how the hand ranks definitions were being applied.

3 Likes