Doc Holliday (And other max bullets) with bullet penalties

I’ve run into this interaction a couple of times and gotten different answers as to how it works, so it seemed like a good idea to just ask what the official ruling on the situation is.

My question is when Doc Holliday grants his bullet bonus to a character, does the bullet bonus that goes over the maximum of 4 remain on the dude even though they are treated as having a bullet count of 4 since it is the maximum?

I’ll give an example situation.

If Father Tolarios is a 2 stud Blessed 4 while holding a Tlaloc’s Fury (with another on the board), and Doc Holliday is activated targeting Father T, he is given a 4 bullet bonus which would make him 2 stud + 4 = 6 stud, but he is then capped at 4. If a bullet reducer like [[Faster on The Draw]] or Fleet Footed is then used on Father T, does that reduce him to a 3 stud or does it make him a 5 stud capped at 4?

I know that when losing bullets below 0, the negatives stick around even though 0 is the minimum, so I was wondering if the maximum worked the same way.

The only rule I’ve found so far (Actually from Blargg on the discord) is that

“A card’s bullets, influence, cost, upkeep, control, and production are always equal to the printed stat plus or minus any modifiers from card effects and/or attached cards.”

So does " That dude has a maximum bullet rating of 4." mean all bonuses that would take them above 4 are negated, or that they are simply treated as being 4 if they are above it?

Thanks!

4 Likes

Great question! It is treated as 4 even if above it; those bonuses are not negated.

From the Design Team:

So if I have a dude that is printed 2 with +20 , he’d normally be 22, but then you apply the maximum limitation of 4, which makes him 4

2 Likes