First Legend Preview (Stone) and Epitaph Kickstarter confirmed for July

Hello everyone,

For those who missed the announcement on Pinnacle’s website, we’ve got the first preview of a “Legend” card (Jasper Stone) and confirmation that the Epitaph Kickstarter will be in July. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

And lo, Jasper came down upon Gomorra not to help the dude and deeds, but to offer aid to the Legendary Holster and Justice in Exile!

Jasper has strange synergy with Holster. As I read it, the ability is used after posses are formed,and immediately targets an opposing dude, but the +2 bullets only happens when your shooter is chosen (after all shootout plays). The large number of bullets in nice though.

Very interesting, unless I’m corrected, you can target a dude, Holster ace them, than whomever is chosen as your shooter will get permanent +1 bullets and control points (if the shootout reaches that point)

1 Like

Indeed, the +2 bullet bonus won’t be in effect while you’re using your shotgun/holster etc (as dudes are only the shooter very briefly, and not during the shootout abilities step), but you’ll get your CP and permanent bullet bonus if you used shotgun/holster etc to ace a dude.

I look forward to seeing what you and others can conjure up with this Legend. :slight_smile:

1 Like

He makes point blank much much better.

1 Like

I wasn’t particularly excited about this preview at first glance, but I think it definitely has potential in the right deck.

@jordan_caldwell pointed out on dtdb.co that my ‘Sowers of Discord’ deck up on dtdb right now might be a good candidate for Jasper Stone, and I definitely agree. It’s got all the pieces to take full advantage of our new servitor - desire for bullets, acing dudes with shotguns/LH to give whoever is the shooter a boost, peacemakers to protect your stud, and a need for control points that aren’t in deeds (the deck has very little influence, so can’t set down too many deeds in most situations).

Thanks for pointing that out, Jordan - I look forward to testing it out and tweaking the deck once these cards are released!

I think there’s too many ways, currently, to make a dude not a stud for him to be particularly viable. As soon as you lose your stud dude, you’re ability to make a hand tanks, since you get no bonus from the other dudes in the shootout.

All your opponent has to do is survive 1 round, and the react gets turned off.

Doesn’t react work as long as the opposing dude is in the shootout? I have to admit, I do not like this card too much, I believe that -2 starting ghost rock is very punishing and the ability itself isn’t that good, at least IMO.

The react does indeed work as long as the targeted opposing dude is in the shootout.

I think Bithlord’s point was that your opponent might just send the dude you targeted home after round 1. You can try to mitigate this by targeting their key stud - if he’s leaving the shootout they were probably bailing out anyway.

That the react boosts your “shooter” rather than a particular target makes it very handy. For example, in Law Dogs Tommy Harden is normally a ho-hum 1 stud back-up, but with Stone he becomes a 3-stud even if Thunder Boy is sent home/unprepared/made in to a draw. With Thunder Boy, Tommy Harden and a 1-Draw Bullet catcher you’re often better off with Stone (despite the penalty) than with a full posse if your opponent hits you with Sun in Yer Eyes, Unprepared, Pistol Whip etc.

I’ll second this comment - this is a Legend that needs a specific deck built to support it, but can be powerful when this is done. The card pool is large enough now to overcome the -2GR starting stash that Stone imposes and still have a decent starting posse.

2 Likes

I think a lot of people are seeing it as only bringing in one super stud since only one guy can get the buff, right? Then complaining he could lose that stud easily.

What about bringing in two dudes (or more) with some bullets. Then use the one who doesn’t lose his stud as your shooter.

6 Likes

I know what are you saying, but this is why that -2 starting gr is really punishing, it is hard to start with two studs. Also I happen to play a lot agains WD Rabbit Fu and even on turn one, I usually lose two studs from my posse. Additionally I think the match up against slide would be really difficult.
Also we didn’t test the card, I personally think it might be good in 108 deck, or maybe Des Row/high bullets build, but I think it is a very risky card.

1 Like

Evil is a choice. :wink:

I’ll say I had a deck in playtest that was the Sloane from the base set - it was pretty good.

3 Likes

Yeah, I really like Stone working with original Sloane.

I like Stone with all the Sloane outfits.

Actually…you wouldn’t get your CP and permanent bullet bonus in this instance.

You don’t have a shooter until you get to Step 2 “Pick Yer Shooter” (page 20 of the newest rulebook).

So the only time that you have a shooter is during Steps 2-5 (maybe through step 7…I’m not clear).

While taking shootout actions, there’s no shooter, so no CP for shenanigans during the shootout itself.

I think once you’ve targeted a dude with Stone, you still get the CP if you get to the point where you declare your shooter even if the targeted dude is aced before that point. As the targeted dude will no longer be opposing then you lose the shooter +2 bullet bonus and if a posse empties before shooters are declared then I agree, no bonus CP and bullet for acing the dude.

2 Likes

Thanks @TybarSunsong, I interpret this in the same way as @Doomdog. These nuances are always worth checking with the rules team. They can have a significant impact on a card’s power level.:slight_smile:

I think you miss out on the CP/permanent bullet if the shootout ends before the Shooter step, but otherwise you get it.

1 Like

Thanks @Doomdog and @Harlath

I agree with your interpretation.

I think in my head, I was thinking about the scenario where you discard/ace everyone before you pick shooters, which means this card doesn’t give any benefit to those strategies…something neat to keep in mind.

1 Like

I can see where you’re coming from, good to talk these things through particularly when it opens up new avenues for using a card as you point out!

I quite like the design here as it threads the needle well. You can still use your Shotguns/Legendary Holsters etc with Jasper Stone, but people on both sides need to stick around long enough for shooters to be selected. This lets you use these cards with this Legend while still encouraging some interaction, rather than wiping out your opponent’s posse before shooters are selected or using the Highbinder Hotel/Make the Smart Choice (etc) to eject your own dudes after shooting someone during shootout plays. :+1:

2 Likes

That was the first interaction I checked for :slight_smile: sadly won’t help my drunken hit and run deck (or more accurately, thankfully for the good of the game).

The other thing I noticed was how this card was careful not to promote token attack abuse from cards like bounty hunter or Mamma Bear totem. A risk free 4 stud attack would be cheese and restrict future design space.

6 Likes