Good demo decklists?

As part of Tabletop Day this coming weekend, I will be doing demos / teaching Doomtown this weekend at my local shop.

Probably best not to try and teach anyone with Carter Jank.

Anyone have some decent teaching / demo decks? Looking to put all six factions out.

1 Like

I put together the ones on

There’s also the LD and Sloane decks under the Resources, Learn to Play tab on pineboxentertainment.com

2 Likes

Much obliged.

2 Likes

Great idea Carter. Those decklists were designed to allow all six to be made at the same time from one collection, and to provide an introduction to each faction. I’ll update these to include the last few AEG era expansions and new Pinebox/Pinnacle sets, so it might be worth tweaking some of them (e.g. Giving LD their modern BMR posse to protect them from shotguns/Soul Blast and tigers oh my!).

A good demo deck is one that is better than the one you will play. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Pretty good advice. Good demo decks give players a chance to spend ghost rock, take actions, interact feel they can win. :thumbsup: Crushing new players isn’t sensible or helpful, folk can bring out the big games once people are hooked.

1 Like

Ive seen and been part of the evidence.

Dont win a demo!

Let them win.

It isnt just because they win and they get a sense of success, but they feel like someone showing them the game that would beat them like that won’t treat them any better once they start playing.

3 Likes

I whole heartedly agree. Let them do as well as you can let them.

The real difficulty is that it’s easy to say, and very hard to do. If you don’t let them make mistakes your quarterbacking them, and they won’t learn. Also, who wins a shootout is very often decided by the cards. If they end up low on influence and booted, do you move out to win the game, or explain you could win, but want to keep showing them more DTR has to offer? If casting Blood Curse wins you the game, do you just not cast it, or do you go into a shootout to cast it as a bullet reducer? Is that then showing them how to play badly? Is it bad to play cheating resolutions if it lets the win, since cheating resolutions are pivotal to game balance?

So, I guess I would have to add, if it’s difficult to ‘let them win’, then absolutely don’t be an ass. Be open and very honest why your making the plays you are. For DTR, I think the best way to go easy, until the cards decide the end of the game, is to let them build up some economy. If I were new, I would have no problem ending up slightly losing, but I’d be very upset if I ever felt like I never had a chance, and never was able to build anything.

1 Like

Subtle things can help you lose, such as keeping too much upkeep on the table so you cant afgord anything.

1 Like