Hands Confuses Me

The Hands quick reference doesn’t always tell me what my hand’s level is… Sometimes I got cards (okay almost all the time) that the samples don’t mention. I’m autistic so I’m a literal thinker so it’s a bit hard for me to figure out my levels for Shooutouts and Lowball. Anyone put it to me bluntly and straight?

All passible hand ranks are there. Could you give a few examples of cards combinations that you have problems with?

From lowest to highest

Rank 1: High Card - Five cards of different, non-sequential values, that don’t all share a suit. In case of a tie, compare the next highest value card in each hand. Remember that aces are low in Doomtown! e.g. 2-4-6-8-10

Rank 2: Pair - Any two cards of the same value, and three others all of different values. e.g. 2-2-6-8-10

Rank 3: Two Pair - Two pairs of cards (see above), each pair of a different value, and one of a value that doesn’t make up either of your pairs. e.g. 2-2-6-6-10

Rank 4: Three of a Kind - Three cards of the same value, and two others of different values. e.g. 2-2-2-8-10

Rank 5: Straight - Five different cards of sequential value, that don’t all share a suit. e.g. 2-3-4-5-6

Rank 6: Flush - Five cards that share a suit and aren’t of sequential value. This may contain a pair, two pair or three of a kind, in which case the hand will be illegal and may trigger Cheatin’ Resolutions. e.g. 2-2-6-8-10 all clubs

Rank 7: Full House - Three cards of the same value, and two cards that share a different value. e.g. 2-2-2-8-8

Rank 8: Four of a Kind - Four cards of the same value, and one of a different value. e.g. 2-2-2-2-10

Rank 9: Straight Flush - Five cards of sequential value that all share a suit. e.g. 2-3-4-5-6 all clubs

Rank 10: Five of a Kind - Five cards of the same value. This hand will definitely be illegal without use of a joker. e.g. 2-2-2-2-2

Rank 11: Dead Man’s Hand - Five specific cards - A of Spades, A of Clubs, 8 of Spades, 8 of Clubs, J of Diamonds.

3 Likes

I can only add that you should always group cards by value, from lowest to the highest value ( or in a reverse order if it feels more natural to you). And as Doomdog said above, remember that Aces are basically 1’s.

Thanks this helps so much :smiley:

3 Likes