How do I resolve multiple dudes being required to be the "first casualty"

What happens if multiple effects designate that a dude be a first casualty? For instance, say that I use the ability of Black Owl:

You may boot Black Owl to make the opposing player select that dude as their first casualty this round.

But then later on play Pinned Down on a different dude

Choose a dude. They must be selected as the first casualty.

And for good measure, I play another copy of Pinned Down on a third dude. (Overall, there are currently four cards that designate someone as the first casualty).

What happens? Does the new “must be selected as the first casualty” effect replace the previous one? Are they all somehow simultaneously the first casualty?

I am not part of the rules team

The compendium (v0.8.0) under Pinned Down and Holy Wheel Gun they included the lines (I assume they also apply to Black Owl and other cards)

• By first casualty, this effect means the next casualty to be taken by the opposing player
    after this ability is played.
  • If multiple effects have been played that claim the first casualty, the player selecting that
    casualty can select which applies. Once that first casualty has been chosen, any other
    effects currently in play that require a dude to be selected as the first casualty are ignored.

My reading of this is that your first casualty must be chosen from the pool of “marked” dudes, but after that you are free to choose your second casualty.

So if you had Absalom, The Brute, and Clementine in a shootout with both Absalom and Brute marked as the “first casualty” you would have to choose one of those dudes first, but you could choose Clementine to be your second casualty. This does mean that even though Absalom is marked as first, since another dude is marked as first he could make it out of the shootout without being taken as a casualty.

1 Like