If your Outfit is

Following the Faction update, do the following cards currently function as worded (ie, “If your outfit is ___”) or do they need to be errata’d to read:

If your faction is ___

https://dtdb.co/find/?q=x%3A"outfit+is"&sort=set&view=list&_locale=en

T’ou Chi Chow
Chief Stephen Seven-Eagles
Ivor Hawley (Exp.1)
Abram Grothe (Exp.2)
Lillian Morgan (Exp.1)
Sloane (Exp.1)
Tallulah “Lula” Morgan (Exp.1)
Zeb Whateley-Dupont
Morgan Lash

Don’t all of the text on the dudes refer to the outfit with an icon and not title? That’s how I remember it. Anyway, this change is not supposed to change any game mechanics.

1 Like

Smiling Tom has been mentioned previously as one that might need an update.

2 Likes

As noted all of the above use the symbol so no change required. Smiling Tom has a note in the compendium regarding his text.

6 Likes

Looks like it was a technical errata to change “Fourth Ring” to the Fearmongers faction icon.

That errata is what actually what brought up my question. Those cards mention “If your outfit is icon.” Since Outfits do not have icons as defined in the new rulebook, I was just wondering if these cards are worded correctly. All of the icons on those cards are now specifically defined as representing factions:

Factions are widespread groups found throughout the Weird West. There are six of them in Doomtown, each listed below with its corresponding icon:

Outfits represent a particular group from each faction, such as a specific corporation, gang of bandits, or local sheriff’s office.

So if I am interpreting that correctly, the outfits would be the cards such as Beyond the Veil, The Sloane Gang, Full Moon Brotherhood, and Justice In Exile.

If we take T’ou Chi Chow for instance, it says

If your outfit is

but there are no outfits called

, only factions.

Ah, I see what you mean! Will pass along to the powers that be to see if an edit is an order for the next compendium change :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Sounds good! Not a huge deal but technically confusing for new players trying to understand all the terms.

“If your outfit is X, do Y” works similarly to text like Decimator Array (If this dude is a Mad Scientist, they have -1 upkeep etc.) or Faster on the Draw (if they are a Deputy, they become a stud). These effects look for a characteristic on the referenced card, not just the title. It is looking for what faction that outfit belongs to, not literally looking for an outfit card named . If that was the case it would say “If your outfit is named ”.

The issue is that the definition of Outfit has now changed. When those cards were printed, Outfit meant a different thing and it made perfect sense to refer to them as icons.

Now icons are specifically tied to Factions, and Outfits mean those cards which represent your home. Saying “If your Outfit is icon” doesn’t make any sense - which Outfit is the card referring to? It’s referring to a Faction, not an Outfit.

I think you are misunderstanding my point, I will attempt to explain it more clearly. I am not trying to argue with you that the definition of outfit has changed, that is true. At the time, Outfit meant both your outfit card (such “108 Righteous Bandits”, “Beyond the Veil”, etc.) and the faction to which your outfit belongs (the icon, eg Anarchist and First Peoples in the current terminology). Now outfit just means the physical outfit card, and the icon is a faction icon. We can agree on that.

Cards that referenced your outfit have always referred to your outfit card, and some of them looked on that outfit card for an outfit symbol. It was pretty interchangeable at the time, but the difference is there, as evidenced by the confusion and the change from outfit symbol to faction symbol. For reference, look at other cards that reference your outfit (Quarantine Tent, Constance Daughtry, Ambrose Douglas, etc.) They are referring to the outfit card, not the outfit symbol. Even before the faction change, I’m fairly certain the rulebook (at least the PBE one, maybe not the AEG one) said “There are other cards that will reference your “outfit” as well, which will be referencing your outfit as a card” just like it does now.

These cards work exactly the same way now, but when they reference your outfit card they are looking for a “faction” symbol rather than an “outfit” symbol. This is one of the reasons that the change was made and is a good change, is because of things like this. Changing “outfit” to mean just the card and not the symbol, and using “faction” to refer to the symbol, doesn’t have any impact on card text or mechanics it just makes things more clear. “If your outfit is X” looks on your outfit card to see if it has quality X, which in the case of your question is a faction symbol, the artist formerly known as outfit symbol. It could just as easily be “If your outfit is a Holy Ground” or “If your outfit has 3 production”, and would work exactly the same way.

Apologies if I am over-explaining.

1 Like

That’s not how it reads to me after a literal interpretation of the new rules update.
The way that T’ou Chi Chow currently reads literally is “If your outfit is Anarchists.”

Like I said it’s not a huge deal since we all know what it used to mean, but Anarchists isn’t an outfit.

Correct, and what that means in the context of that sentence and the effect is “If your outfit has the quality of being Anarchists”. We can break it down further, very literally.

“If” - conditional, checking for a quality later in the effect
“your outfit” - the outfit card that you own and control in play
“is” - state of being or possession of a quality
“Anarchists” - faction symbol, a quality that is present on the outfit card very prominently in the upper right corner

Just like Faster on the Draw reads literally “if they are a Deputy” and isn’t trying to see if your dude is named “a Deputy”. Just like Decimator Array reads literally “if this dude is a Mad Scientist” and isn’t trying to see if that dude is named “a Mad Scientist”. All of these effects, including the ones you are asking about, work the same way. They are checking for a quality, that can be anywhere on the card. Name isn’t the only quality on the card, and outfits have a faction. Therefore an outfit can “be” Anarchists, just like a dude can, and the faction itself can be referred to as Anarchists.

3 Likes