Let's talk about the next set!

So what does everyone want to see in the next expansion? I would like a natural deputy or Sloan gang Dupty to go with protection racket . Also I am super interested in the new " tasty starters " for eagle wardens

2 Likes

Excellent idea for a thread!

I feel restricted in what I can say here due to playtesting duties (don’t want people to read too much in to anything I say!) but I like threads like this for showing what people are keen on. Therefore, please forgive me for a backward looking comment instead as this is safer: I was pleased that TCaR expanded some of the themes that got introduced late in the AEG era but didn’t have time to grow. For example, the value manipulation stuff gets fleshed out a bit with the 4R dudes in that expansion, without these cards only being useful in a very specific deck type.

I would also like to see the 108 and Wardens get some experience dudes which I guess will have to happen sometime I just hope for sooner than later

3 Likes

Me too, plus maybe another K dude for each to expand their options there. That said, F1 Burch in There Comes a Reckoning helped eased the pressure there as a drifter K dude.

Any particular EW/108 dudes fans would be interested in seeing more of, whether it is for story or mechanics reasons?

I really like 108s subscene where they get more out of certain Deeds with certain dudes like Forester is great in saloons , Caitlin McCue is awesome at a public and or government deed and Sophie lacoste is great at public locations I like these guys as a kinda Voltron Style play with them having to go out in town to make all of your deeds and dudes better but at the same time you have to protect them because they are out and about

1 Like

As an EW secondary, I would really like a cheap dude with influence and no upkeep. As it is Mazatl is essentially mandatory, and that’s kind of boring. Maybe give Hypothetical Warden a drawback like “–1 influence for each other dude at this location” or something; but for a faction that’s supposed to be strong in influence, they’re not really that strong in influence.

Also, I’d like a (non-Cheatin’) way to draw more cards in the Resolution phase. We’re supposed to be soaking and outlasting in shootouts, and I’d like to have reason not to just send all the opposing dudes home.

2 Likes

I love the Wardens but I would like to see them get something other than spirit fortress .

1 Like

Secondary mechanics expanded?

For Sloane, maybe expansion into keywords including Con and Seedy (and a keyword for “determine control via bullets”) - and their “cheatin’ and gettin’ away with it” theme imported to Lowball. For Lawdogs, I’d like to see more skill support - including Blessed and especially Mad Science - maybe a 1-cost dude to prop up these archetypes. For Morgan, I’d like to see more options for control effects - maybe hitting off the Attire, Horse, and Ranch keywords - including booting or moving other dudes (ex. Dead Billy) or even removal of influence. For 4th Ring, continued expansion into their spell-less archetypes - including Abominations and Mystical Gadgets - continuing with the “hunter” theme (ex. Black Owl). For Eagle Wardens, I’d like to see more support for the mechanics of cards like The Mixer and Remedy - maybe special goods that ace themselves for powerful effects (like +3 stud until sundown or +1 permanent Influence) but may only be attached at Holy Ground locations - and Totems that incentivize interactivity. For 108 Bandits I’d like to see more support for various mechanical themes - maybe Hymns and Abominations - maybe a continuation of the “robin hood” abilities and more mechanical incentives to spread out.

Cheers.

5 Likes

Also somewhere I heard something about a train and that is really interesting too me …

Thanks guys (particularly @jordan_caldwell’s detailed post!) . Threads and posts like this are really helpful to see what people are interested in seeing more of or what isn’t quite working but could with a few more pieces. As with dtdb, it isn’t just about posting tournament winning decks. :slight_smile:

I like the 108 “Robin Hood” theme too, as well as the general points raised above about deepening out some existing themes. Getting EW interesting, effective cards that don’t also bolster Spirit Fortress is probably a tough job, but keen on that too.

Jesus, I almost broke NDA. I nearly posted something thinking this was in the Playtest channels.

3 Likes

For the EW perhaps a key word that prevents them being at the same deed as a spirit dude ? Or some such thing ? I can see how it is rough to get that to work however

I am also looking forward to new less evil legends I won’t play with those S.O.B servitors as you know evil and what not ( which I know limits me a bit )

3 Likes

Quite right! Doc Holiday is a pretty heroic type and is a story prize (2017 Evil is a Choice event at GenCon) that should show up in a future expansion.

I’m glad Legends are optional for those who want to avoid evil servitors for now and that we’re seeing decks do well with/without servitors. Particularly liked several players deliberately not choosing evil and pointedly not using their Servitor during the “servitors mandatory” event at GenCon. Great to see players engage like that. :thumbsup:

1 Like

Isn’t Doc a Hexslinger? I wonder how that is gonna work .

Doc Holiday is easily the most exciting card in the foreseeable future. A Legend that isn’t a Servitor, and one that expands Hex Slingin’ (Which is considered a distinct Arcane Background to Hucksters in Deadlands Reloaded) leaves a lot of design space.
If Hex Slingin’ is anything like the the card then I would love to see how Doc competes with Ezekiah Grimme, as Grimme is the current patron saint of “Getting spells so you can discard them later”.
As for what I would like to see in the new set, Eagle Wardens Kung Fu seems nice. Kung Fu is so synonymous with the 108 at this point and I would like a few non-108 dudes, plus I like the mechanic of weaponized influence which the Tao of Bull Demon King has.

1 Like

Expanding Kung fu to a second faction would be good: suddenly makes a big chunk of cards useful to two factions rather than just one. Looked like AEG were working on doing just this in Blood Moon Rising, and the pinebox/pinnacle era is a great chance to flesh out themes that weren’t finished.

Actually on the note of “making a big chunk of cards useful to two factions”, I remember reading that AEG had plans to expand shamans/spirits on to Morgan with Jon Longstride (who really does deserve an EXP version) leading the charge for more of an animal friendly ranching company.
Right now all 18 Spirits and 1 horse are locked into Eagle Wardens and it would be nice to expand them out. Plus Morgan’s two main themes (horses/gadgets) are already as viable as they ever will be, and Morgan’s outfits (Gadgetorium and Stables) could get a lot of mileage out of having spells.

4 Likes

Especially for Gadgetorium, having to boot as a cost to play a spell would be mitigated - but for spells that do not yet exist!

Ace in the Whole was one I could never get to make the jank viable.
I swear I saw someone once try a blessed deck that could unboot after using Confession or Lay on Hands. Soothe was way to high a difficulty to make work though.

2 Likes