Lillian Morgan Exp.1 and Accidental Reunion

Hi Rules Team,

I was contemplating an interesting interaction and wondered what would happen in the following:

I use Lillian Exp.1’s ability:

Noon/Shootout: Play an action from your discard pile (as if it were in your hand). After the card resolves, boot a spell on Lillian or ace that action

Without booting a spell to play An Accidental Reunion from my discard pile.

An Accidental Reunion states:

Shootout: Each time a player reveals an illegal draw hand, that player takes two extra casualties that round. You may pay 2 ghost rock to place this card back into your hand.

So after playing it, I pay 2GR to place the card back into my hand.

What then happens with the effect of Lillian’s ability to ace the card. Would it ace from hand, or would the target card be considered to be no longer available to ace (because it had moved to hand) and therefore would stay in my hand?

1 Like

Disclaimer: I’m not part of the Rules Team.

Lillian Exp. 1’s ability does not state it explicitly, but her ability seems to replace the normal course of playing an action (play card → card resolves → [discard || ace || ??] card); so instead of [discard || ace || ??], ace the card unless you boot a spell on her.
Stated otherwise: After the carde resolves, instead of (where it’s supposed to go), [pay cost =] boot a spell on Lillian [or else] ace that action.
(that’s pretty much how An Accidental Reunion is worded, replacement without “instead” wording, but it does replace a discard)

My opinion, is when you pay the 2GR to place the card into your hand, you replaced the normal discard. The new place it’s supposed to go, after it resolved, is your hand. Lillian’s ability says that, to have the card go there (your hand), you have to boot a spell, or ace it.

Edit : Standardification of mumbojumbable Clarificators, links to involved cards, prayers to the old horizons

Now that I think about it, the problem that remains is[quote=“hehasmoments, post:1, topic:2184”]
After the card resolves, boot a spell on Lillian or ace that action
[/quote]

Is “placing this card back into your hand” part of the resolution? If it is, then after it has resolved, it is now in your hand, not in the way to your hand.

That would be another beast that was discussed in another context.

Granted, we’re not checking the value of the action card, only its presence… So: is the Play Hand a zone like the Deck, Discard Pile, and Boot Hill? And is the Board another zone where Actions end up temporarily…?

:no_mouth:

Edit: Strategic CAPITALIZATION

Seen and under RT review!

1 Like

Great question,

When accidental reunion is placed back into you hand it loses all memory of where it came from and how it was played therefore it does not require being aced.

1 Like