Marshal Strategy: Bluffing in Doomtown

A new article from Marshal Joe James!

http://pineboxentertainment.com/2019/10/03/bluffing-in-doomtown/

6 Likes

This article is Money

3 Likes

There isnā€™t enough discussion here about this.

Some of my favorite bluffs;

1. not having a CR in hand for lowball so CLEARLY I donā€™t have one for a shootout.
  2. Iā€™ll take that one casualty because I can, and I donā€™t have a CR in hand that I could have played, do I? I mean, I would have used it to save that dude, right?
  3. ā€œIā€™ve got nothing to loseā€ in a shootout, when you actually do, and youā€™re hoping they will make the one mistake you need to get back in the game.
  4. I donā€™t have a Fourth CR, do I?
  5. and so on.
5 Likes

I will happily lose the first round of a shootout, if I know I can set you up for a devastating CR on round 2.

2 Likes

A specific one Iā€™ve seen go both ways with a new card: Ricochet - use it, draw a card, and ā€œyeah, what are they chances I drew into ANOTHER Richochet?!ā€ Well, Iā€™ve done it at least once, and while the odds are low, its so brutal that itā€™s not a hard bluff :slight_smile:

1 Like

Also, not playing a CR round 1. So obviously I donā€™t have a CR :stuck_out_tongue:
Well, opponent then ā€˜Stakes Just Roseā€™ or ā€˜Pintoā€™ in a good stud w/ influence coz itā€™s safe to do so and Iā€™ve just lost my bullet spud catcher.
THEN I hit ā€˜em with Coachwhip or Bottom Dealinā€™ :stuck_out_tongue:

or I can cheat and still effectively use BD, coz theyā€™re out of easy disposables :stuck_out_tongue:

Remember, boys n girls, cheatinā€™ resolutions are a lot like proctology exams: 'tis better to give than to receive :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

What kind of situations are you thinking of where the same CR will do much more damage in round 2 than round 1?

Oops, sorry, I overlooked the last post here which answered my question, so you can really just delete both my posts in this thread.

Iā€™m happy to answer in more ways. Itā€™s usually the Cheatin Resolutions that affect Hand Ranks where this comes in more often.

Just for sake of example, lets say you have a cheatin HR 3 and I have HR 2 I could drop you by 4 Hand ranks with What you knowā€¦, but it wonā€™t do much, Iā€™ll only win by 1 HR since you canā€™t go below 1. If I can handle the casualty hit, Iā€™ll save it, especially at a 2 GR cost.

Then second round, I get a Full house (the hand I tend to expect from my deck) and you get a cheatin 4oak. I hit you with the CR I saved and now youā€™re down 3 HR from me.

Of course, there are tons of things that can make situations like this pop up. Hand Rank manipulation is one of the biggest ones with cards such as Force Field and Calling the Cavalry.