Mayfair Tyx Part 2

More that I should’ve posted in my other question -

Tyxarglenak Text:

“Other players cannot choose or affect your Hucksters at this location with action cards if they could legally choose to affect Tyxarglenak instead.”

What happens if Tyx has a Mayfair deck? Can he be targeted? Why?

Bonus Question: Tyx xp1 is on the field w/ a Mystical good attached, and in the same location as Hamshanks. Who is a legal target for an action that could otherwise target either of them normally?

Not part of the rules team, but I don’t believe Tyx can be targeted even if he is a huckster.

Tyx’s trait forces your opponent to check if Tyx would be a valid target every time they go to use an action card to target a huckster. You go through a hypothetical scenario where you selected Tyx, if that scenario could have legally played out, then you have to target him instead (or do something else).
Tyx’s ability does not prevent an ability from occurring, it only forces your opponent to target Tyx in place of other hucksters.
In your Mayfair Tyx scenario, I would choose to target Tyxarglenak then check if I could legally “choose to target Tyxarglenak instead of choosing to target Tyxarglenak”. Since “instead” requires a substitution, and I cannot substitute a target with the same target, Tyx’s trait is turned off (and I am now free to choose to target Tyx)

As for your Tyx + Hamshanks question, I believe they cancel each other out. You go to target one, follow the hypothetical rabbit holes until you find you couldn’t legally target them (because the other has to be targeted instead) then return from your hypothetical with the knowledge that neither is a legal initial target. This will turn off their traits due to the “if possible” and “could legally choose Hamshanks instead” clauses, meaning that any dude at that location will be a valid target.

I think these abilities make more sense if you look at scenarios where Tyx/Hamshanks would not be valid targets originally. If either was wearing a Yagn’s they could not be legally targeted by Pistol Whip (Yagn’s prevents a dude from booting, and part of the requirement for Pistol Whip is sending the targeted dude home booted). Since Tyx’s trait is conditional on him being a legal initial target, and he is not, his trait is deactivated and he cannot stop a Pistol Whipping to a different huckster.

seen and under review by RT

Tyx
Other players cannot choose or affect your Hucksters at this location with action cards if they could legally choose to affect Tyxarglenak instead.

Hanshanks
While Hamshanks is unbooted at a location you control, other players cannot choose or affect your dudes at this location with their abilities if they could legally choose to affect Hamshanks instead.

If a player controls both Huckster Hamshanks, who is unbooted in a location they control, and Tyx at the same location you create the following situation:

Both say you can’t choose X if you can choose Y legally instead. Which would make both illegal targets, which turns off both traits in regards to Action cards, as Tyx only protects against action cards.
When they go to use an ability from elsewhere, it must effect Hamshanks if able.

This does not effect abilities that can’t choose/effect either. Such as card stating choose a wanted dude, when neither are Wanted and Valeria is.

Tyx being a Huckster changes nothing. He’s still a legal choice for anything that can choose him.

Tyx Xp
While Tyxarglenak is unbooted and has a Mystical goods, he has +2 bullets and all opposing Shootout actions must choose him if possible.

You’d have to target Hamshanks here (assuming he’s unbooted, in a location you control), as you can’t choose Tyx XP. “Can’t” trumps “must if possible”.

2 Likes