New Ban and Errata

Thread for discussion, questions , concerns regarding recent blog post:

http://pineboxentertainment.com/2018/02/13/new-ban-and-errata/

4 Likes

The Nico errata makes sense, a 3 CP swing is still really useful and any deck that can afford to boot 4+ dudes is probably into some deep shenanigans. Plus, hopefully, sweet alt-art Nico reprints one day. :grin:

The Showboating ban is sad for me mostly because Showboating had such potential for so many decks. I understand that fortress decks pretty much ruined this card from day 1, but I was always holding out hope that I could make an experimental Roe-boating gadget deck. It would probably be hard to errata Showboating in such a way where fortress decks can’t abuse it, but “normal” decks can use it due to the vast differences in using totems/gadgets/spells.

I hope we can see more feats in the game tho, it is a nice mechanic that I would love to see implemented for the different skills (individually, I think Showboating proves how difficult “multi-skill” cards are to balance).

3 Likes

Just my two cents, I like the decisions made here more the more I think about them. The Nicodemus errata is very well done, he is still very useful in a variety of decks and situations, but he is no longer a solo win condition. I am a little sad about Showboating being banned and not getting errata, but I understand why it was done. I hope that the rules team will consider issuing errata for Showboating (maybe remove from game after use, ala Meet the New Boss?) and unbanning it in the future, but I think removing the card is the currently correct decision for the health of the community.

Let’s be honest here, the decks that made these cards negative play experiences (specifically Spirit Fortress and similar) are not nearly as effective or prominent as they once were, but they are still not fun to play or play against. If this ban and errata brings players back and reduces negative play experiences, I’m all for it.

@SavageJack I totally agree on feats being neat, seeing more would be great. I think it could be really interesting space for support cards in a variety of archetypes, especially gadgets.

3 Likes

As a Doomtown player i love the Banning and Errata of Showboating and Nicodemus . As a Wardens player ( who hates and wont play Fortress) I love the Banning and Errata of Showboating and Nicodemus ( i feel these two cards have held back the faction in a big way and is probably a big reason not to have given Morgan Cattle Company access to spirits and Shammys)

3 Likes

Ban this sick filth.

Good work.

2 Likes

So happy!

I will pretend this was released today, on Valentines Day, as a gift of love from PBE directly to me :slight_smile:

:heart_eyes:

5 Likes

I like it!
How does Hunter Protections get Nico above 3 CP? He has to be at 0 to use it, so wouldn’t dudes who vote for him after he visits Hunter’s only be able to give him an additional 2 CP?

It will be clarified, but the limit is to the bonus his text can gain, not an overall limit of 3.

1 Like

I like and support both of these changes.

I have a question though, regarding the revisiting of bans. Is there any chance of a functional errata coming along later for Showboating (and for 108 Worldly Desires)? If so, is there a minimum time frame for the bans to stay in effect?

No minimum time frame at this time. There is a chance of revisiting Showboating, but for Worldly Desires, that home is being replaced and slated for release in ‘Too Tough to Die.’

2 Likes

I like the focus on making the game more interactive. I enjoy slide/defensive decks but being able to gain CP without interacting is a step too far.

Nicodemsus is still a great finisher (this is how I used him in my Desolation Row Blood Curse decks) and Technological Exhibition is a better example of balancing Skill CP with a bit of risk.

Getting rid of problem cards like Showboating and Worldly Desires gives space for design to revisit a similar idea in a more balanced fashion, as Lapp notes is happening in “Too Tough to Die” for 108’s “missing” home relative to the other factions. :slight_smile:

2 Likes