New Card Ideas

For true craziness, @jayjester built a deck using Kung-fu and Blessed together with this guy!

https://dtdb.co/en/decklist/2487/progressional-assertion-through-bilateral-resource-retention

1 Like

Them Buzzwords! For my next PR campaign, I’ll be sure to contact @jayjester
It makes sense, too. Even after reading the whole 2 first paragraphs. And a nice fun deck on top of that.
(I’d nickname it “108 Sacraments : Drunken Communion”)

1 Like

Ok.

A Sloane dude who interacts with Cons somehow. Maybe this dude tempts their opponent into playing a Cheatin’ Resolution during lowball instead of “saving it” for a shootout. Example trait:

“If you win a draw with an illegal hand that isn’t targeted by a cheatin’ ability, search your discard pile for a Con and attach it legally to a location you own or control (paying all costs)”

The corollary here being to open up design space for more cool Cons…

4 Likes

Ideas like this are one of the many reasons I’m excited to see the game continued. There are a few themes that have room to be explored further - I quite like your idea for Sloane as I’m interested in things that expand their cheatin’ theme beyond simply boosting hand ranks (which could become oppressive and dull). This feels thematic too. :thumbsup:

Now we just need to wait for a future Kickstarter with a hypothetical $xxxx “Design a card” pledge option. :wink: That said, was pleasantly surprised with the broad Kickstarter support rather than relying on a few high-rollers, good for the health of the game and encouraging.

2 Likes

I like the idea of exploiting the sh*t out of existing gameplay elements, mixin and matchin until just before it becomes stagnant; then add one ore two other elements. Rince & Repeat, with some extra steam :wink:

[quote=“Harlath, post:44, topic:1469”] […] hypothetical $xxxx “Design a card” pledge option. :wink: […]
[/quote]

Instead of the $xxxx cost, and not to rely on further ks’es, it might be worth it to try a contest like the story events of yore, without the “event” part, only a “story” : A card with a background, and you provide the background.

Even if (possibly) not strictly legal, i.e only playable in a story format thingamajiggy, it could add to the total amount of fun! (and people sharing in the fun)

-Draft submitted atop mount Drunkalot, four-ish ay-emm

[fun fact: googled how the letter ‘A’ is spelled, and found out it is Serious Business.]

Hello Mount Drunkalot, from lunch-break in Edinburgh!

Would the idea be to submit different potential background for a dude? All for trying different things. :slight_smile:

For example, really like the last two story choices (which gang introduces us to Tombstone, which character is corrupted/saved) being participation based rather than a single tournament winner. Plus the Pax tournament, where the story is going to be contributed to round by round, with a random table contributing a key detail to the story each round, driven by in-game events. Pinebox are doing well at driving player involvement but keeping it within appropriate bounds, plus broadening choices out and involving lots of players rather than just tournament winners.

2 Likes

Can’t remember what I was thinking exactly, but probably something along those lines.

…Went way past the Ballmer Peak yesterday; awoke deep in Cave Hangover. Damned vacations starting on weird foot lol

Dual faction homes or dudes could be something interesting to see at some point.

1 Like

More con-based and getaway-with-cheatin-based ability and trait ideas:

Whenever you attach a con to a location you control, or whenever a con is removed from a location you control by an opposing card effect, you may move one permanent control point from one dude you own to another

Resolution: Boot any number of cons you control at any location. For each con you boot, you may unboot or send home booted one dude you control in this posse. If this shootout is for a job, and you have no more dudes in the posse, the job fails.

React, Boot: When you win a draw with an illegal hand that isn’t targeted by a cheatin’ ability, choose an opposing dude at this location, and pay ghost rock equal to their influence to search your discard pile for a job action card that targets a dude or location. You may immediately play that job, choosing the dude or this location as the mark legally.

1 Like

Ideas for Sloane-themed Aces:

Human Shield
A of clubs
0 cost
Shootout: Boot your wanted dude at a deed you occupy (control but do not own). During resolution this round, if you have an illegal hand and your opponent does not, and this dude is your shooter, reduce your casualties by their bounty (if they are still in the posse).”

Out of Ammo
A of clubs
0 cost
React: Play after your opponent chooses to stay in a shootout with one or more of their dudes. Boot all cards attached to those dudes. If your opponent played a cheatin’ resolution against your last draw hand, those dudes are changed to draws for the next round.”

Cover Fire
A of clubs
0 cost
*“Resolution: Choose a dude in your posse and boot them or their attached gun (non-melee weapon). This dude must be chosen as your first casualty this round. Unboot your shooter or their attached gun (non-melee weapon). That weapon may use one printed ability a second time this turn.”

Cheers.

2 Likes

I like that human shield works for anyone occupying opponents private deeds. It would make taking out Barton Everest a challenge, but your cheating, and that can be punished.

Out of Ammo is interesting, but it really breaks a fundamental unwritten rule not to punish someone playing a cheating resolution.

Cover Fire is a cool effect that reward having horses and guns, pretty cool.

2 Likes

In situations like this, where your starting options are feeling a bit squeezed, I’ve really been enjoying Agent Provocateur. If you replaced Phil with her instead of Jake, you don’t lose any influence, have a 2-stud instead of a draw (who can’t leave home, admittedly, but you weren’t going to send Jake running around town alone either), and she replaces herself with the first 4GR-or-less dude to make its way into your hand for free. Plus you still have that 1GR for a starting sponge dude.

2 Likes

Here’s one to give every playtester an aneurism.

‘It’s High Noon!’

Shootout: make a noon ability play that does not call out a dude or start a job, the ability can only affect dudes in this shootout.

4 Likes

Eek - Puppet dudes during a shootout! Might work if it was just abilities on actions/dudes? Would need to check. Very cool name. :wink:

1 Like

Harrowed Rupert
–stats–
Harrowed
Whenever Harrowed Rupert goes home, discard a card at random from your hand.

I see a connection between Faithful Hound, Requiem for a Good Boy and Forsaken Hound.

What if Bluetick was the Good Boy?

Harrowed Bluetick
X Hearts
Sidekick
After Harrowed Bluetick enters play, ace a Bluetick(or sidekick?) you own and control in play unless a Bluetick(or sidekick) was discarded from play in a shootout this turn.
Harrowed Bluetick can be aced to cover two casualties.
Noon, Boot: Move this dude to the same location as a wanted dude to callout that wanted dude.

edits: don’t know if it should be more or less restrictive in its use → any sidekick or just blueticks as a condition, value = 2 hearts or 3, the conditional discard as a casualty or anytime in a shootout (to synergise with Requiem for a Good Boy…)

These cards ideas (at least the names) have many equivalents in Classic Doomtown, I remember clearly that Out of Ammo let you change an opposing dude to a draw, and remember Human Shield being a card but can’t recall the effect

The harrowed bluetick reminds me of Harrowed Kenny. ‘Oh my God, They killed Kenny!’

“You bastards!”