PnP demo decks are an awesome idea - now I have a request

As a TO who runs “Learn to Play” events, having Print and Play demo decks is an excellent idea and a huge help; I can now keep several starter decks ready to go without having to disassemble my “play” decks every time I want to teach someone the game.

I have a request though. The demo decks are great for teaching the basic mechanics, but they don’t use any of the skills mechanics (making pulls, etc). Is there any chance we can have a couple of “intermediate” PnP decks with some skills involved (I was thinking 4R Hucksters and MCC Gadgets, but any would work).

It’s just that once I’ve used the existing demo decks to teach the basics, I’d like to have a couple of pre-made decks available to showcase a bit of the “Weird West” flavor that’s such a big part of the experience…

5 Likes

It would also be nice to get an EW Totem Shaman deck and 108 Kung Fu deck for teaching those subtle differences (Plus then all 6 factions could have a PnP).
Teaching about spells and gadgets is pretty straight forward for new players, but then to say “remember this mechanic from before? Now do the opposite for this test” makes Kung Fu into a really hard to teach mechanic.

I’m glad the Print and Play decks have been of assistance, feedback like this is appreciated.

The playtest team put together a broader list of decks for intermediate play, using all six factions and a variety of skills.

I’m afraid these aren’t print and play (decisions like that are above my level!), but hopefully they’re of some help. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the responses!

I appreciate the suggested decks too, and I’ve been using them for that purpose; it’s just that I can’t have them and my own decks built at the same time.

I totally understand why PBE might not want to give access to all the factions and mechanics via PnP; there’s a certain percentage of people who would think “oh, well, I don’t need to buy the game, because I can play every faction for free…” Which is why I was just thinking of the core set factions.

Maybe they could make a set of the 6 pre-built decks available to stores and TOs to purchase for doing demos? I can’t justify buying multiple copies of all the sets just to have teaching decks on hand, but I’d certainly buy some preconstructed demo decks if they were out there…

Anyway, I’m not going to stop teaching the game regardless, it would just be more convenient.

1 Like

Looks like official learn to play decks are in the pipeline too, if everything works out, according to the links below. Appreciate that this doesn’t help now but pleased that Pinebox are looking in to this kind of thing.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/545820095/doomtown-reloaded-there-comes-a-reckoning/posts/1993762 - “Too Tough To Die will be bigger than There Comes a Reckoning and expands the story to Tombstone. The plan is to launch it in 2018, and feature a new way for players to jump into the game.”

Doomtown: Reloaded Tombstone expansion | Doomtown: Reloaded - confirms learn to play standalone product is in the works

Sympathise with the point about teaching decks v card you need to play! :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s great news! I guess I can hold out until then… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Still worth asking, we’ll see what the Pinebox guys think. :thumbsup:

Plus knowing these decks are useful helps justify spending the playtest team’s time on them.

Omg starter packs/learn decks for the factions. I would so buy this.
Got 4 core sets anyway so i can have introductory decks ready all the time :slight_smile:

I also think it’s a very flavorful way to introduce people into the game,
though it’s understandable that it went away with the non-TCG model.
But in my experience quite a few people would like it that way to take
their first steps into a game, compared to very broad but necessarily shallow core sets.

3 Likes