Raven + "Winning" a shootout timing

Raven
Noon, Boot: Choose an in-town deed. Your shooter has +2 bullets during shootouts there. The next time you win a shootout there, or if you control it during Sundown and do not own it, give your dude there a permanent +1 bullets if they do not already have a permanent bullet bonus.

Can I “win” a shootout, give a permanent +1 bullets to one of my dudes, then flee the scene with that dude per Step 6 (Run or Gun)? Or do I have to stay to collect the bonus?

Put another way. When is a shootout “won” under normal circumstances? At Step 5 (Take Yer Lumps) or Step 7 (Chamber another Round)?

Cheers.

Per p. 24 in the rulebook it is decided in Step 7

Step 6. Run or Gun
Starting with the loser of the shootout round (or the leader if there is no loser), all players decide which of their dudes flee the shootout. Those that flee leave the posse and move home booted. Even dudes that are already booted or already home can flee the shootout. Each player decides for all of their dudes before the next player decides.

Step 7. Chamber Another Round
Both players discard their draw hands. If only one posse remains, that player wins the shootout. If both posses have been emptied of dudes, neither player wins the shootout. If both posses still have at least one dude each, go back to Step 1 to start the next shootout round.

1 Like