Reckoner Article #1: Praise the Lord and Pass the Salt!

First article in the Week of the Reckoning!

http://pineboxentertainment.com/2017/08/01/week-of-the-reckoning-praise-the-lord-and-pass-the-salt/

6 Likes

Solid write up, nothing I really contest. I’ll add a couple points.

I believe Grimme will encourage playing some of the less used spells, either because the other spell on the same value has just always seen 4 of, or because pulling your one copy of Puppet into play changes the game entirely while improving your deck.

Sight Beyond Sight also needs a special mention. Being free, moderate difficulty, high value, and it removing itself from play when chosen makes for a great spell with Grimme. Combine with Ivor xp1 and it becomes a major deck strategy.

Also of note are cards that unboot your spells. There may in fact be something to consider running Grimme with decks playing Gateway to Beyond (comboing Turtle Guard and Ghostly Communion perhaps?), Steele Archer xp1, and/or Stokers Saber.

7 Likes

Great stuff. Pleased that we’re going to get a new article each day this week, thanks to the other playtesters for working hard on these.

I agree with @jayjester on Sight Beyond Sight working particularly well with Grimme - it is pretty brutal to be on the receiving end of. I also think he raises a good point on how he affects deckbuilding. Blood Curse is really powerful and difficult to dislodge from typical hex decks, but if there is another reasonable Hex on Q in the future I might be tempted to go 3x Blood Curse, 1x New Card or even 2x of each.

I think Grimme plays well out of the original 4R home as it starts with 19GR (to offset the starting cost from Grimme) and generates GR when you cast spells outside your home, helping reduce the increased cost of duplicate spells. As the article rightly notes, discarding spells with effects like Hex Slingin’ and Mongwau the Mighty can also work well with Grimme. Interested if anyone has ideas on other homes they’re keen to try him with.

3 Likes

Grimme should combo well with Father Ted and allow LD to run a range of miracles on and off value which they can quickly fetch to degenerate their draw structure.

I worry that he is going to further speed up spirit boating particularly out of gateway of beyond but that’s a different problem

1 Like

Sloane Slucksters is intriguing - as you can dig for cards and use the discard methods above to cycle back in.
I’m playing around with running Corporeal Twiste/Heartseekers + Pinned Down to force the casaulty.
3/5/7 is already a standard Shooty-Sloane build now tweaking to put the Hucksters front n center.
So many moving parts, what could possibly go wrong? (and yes, I know that Sloane has the lowest starting GR).

2 Likes

However Sloan homes have the ability to out produce anyone else - as long as you can afford posse and losing lowball you should be fine

2 Likes

I more recently realized with several of their bonuses to shootout hexes, Sloane hucksters have the opportunity to even put spells like Soul Blast in hand as long as they pass he pull!

3 Likes

Have to admit I tend to run low pull sluckster decks, so soul blast doesn’t have that much offensive value, however great for defence

1 Like

Might be worth experimenting with 4s for such a deck once There Comes A Reckoning adds Nightmare Realm? It casts off a three so everyone would be able to cast it and it would give you Coachwhip! as cheatin’ punishment. Hard to know what to drop from that list admittedly, all solid values. Might go 3/4/5 with some copies of Phantom Fingers (meta) and Hex Slingin’ (all round strong card and cycles cards to reduce costs in Grimme) off value. Marginally increases your odds in lowball too by lowering values!

I’m planning 10’s for shadowalk and someone elses problem, J rapier hex slinging and either 7 or Q out of des row with soup blast and festering grasp as the off values to provide a shadowwalk soul blast threat to complient angelicca

2 Likes