Reckoner Article #4: The Road to Hell

In conclusion, your final Servitor:

http://pineboxentertainment.com/2017/08/04/week-of-the-reckoning-the-road-to-hell/

5 Likes

unfortunately, Hellstromme is super vulnerable to Unprepared, moving your shooter down 3+ bullets (-1 for unprepared, -2 for hellstromme, and - the bullet bonus of the weapon).

This makes A Few Custom Modifications even more mandatory than usual.

luckily the designers were smarter than me - on first reading I thought the bullet penalty was even on the defense, and that was frightening. Could be an idea to steal a page from my Raven analysis and design a deck to defensively squat on opposing stuff. although you would still want the gadget weapons to milk the control points.

The other tricky part that I find with this servitor is that I will often want to boot those gadget weapons (Like the mentioned Asyncoil Gun, or the Holy Wheel Gun, or Flame Thrower) - but notably the Auto Revolver, Biocharger Neutralizer, and Shockwave Inducer do not need to boot.

a shame that Post-a-tron doesn’t count as a gadget weapon. But Quaterman can ignore the penalty…

1 Like

Mechanical skeleton does not boot and Devils six gun only boots as a cheating res so if you have more that one you will have one unbooted.

If you are using gadget weapons unprepared is just something you have to live with. Bring two shooters and hope they only have one unprepared.

1 Like

I can’t imagine shooting with gadgets and not wanting 4x A Slight Modification, regardless.

2 Likes

I thought of Yagn’s immediately, then my eyes glazed over whilst perusing the spoiler looking for examples.

that said, two shooters is a tricky nut for some decks to crack, and even more so for gadget decks.

Hellstromme is going to be a slower playing servitor in that regard, if you want to play it safe you need to wait until you have two shooters or Custom Mods before going on the offensive, while at the same time needing income and influence.

One idea is the “up jump the devil” idea of luring an opponent in with what looks like a no gadget weapon posse - either surprising out an Auto Revolver or having Janoz kit-bash something from the trash.
— just thinking out loud

2 Likes

Morgan Regulators can hopefully help with the two studs angle.

That plus the (oft mentioned) A Slight Modification gives you a pretty resilient posse. Quite a few of the better gadget weapons don’t boot and therefore are worth it with Grimme/Slight, appreciate the lists guys.

I like the suggestion of trying to force your opponent to call you out, I agree that this is an interesting piece of design and like with Jacqueline Isham it will lead to interesting gameplay as players weigh off any advantage from choosing who does the callout/is targeted against the disadvantage from initiating the shootout due to Grimme’s penalty.

So yeah, unprepared sucks, but the weapon is still there. You wouldnt get hit by hellstrommes -2 just because your gadget weapon got unprepared.

6 Likes

Kramer and Jen with Shockwave Generators are my favourite gadget shooter duo. Also great with Yagn’s. Full Moon Brotherhood’s rise in popularity makes them more of a risk, but that’s where plentiful 2-draw dudes and Regulators helps out.

1 Like

I’m liking Elander XP for his ability to unboot Gadget weapons and Jon Longstrides for unbooting Yagn’s.
Chuck in a couple of Missed! to unboot dudes and keep 'em mobile. An yes, 4x ASM.

3 Likes

My bad there.
My brain processed Unprepared blanking the traits of the item as blanking the keywords as well.

2 Likes