Round-table Discussion: Too Tough to Die and Out for Blood

The Great Maze is home to Kung Fu villains as well as heroes. Definitely material there that could be used if it does ever happen.

Oh terror shamans !

If the Anarchists got some more Kung Fu abominations, and Fearmongers got some more support dudes that raise dude value (and can be used on friendly dudes), then a janky Fear Fu deck would be fun.

Also Kang if we ever visit Shan Fan. We need him.

I would love it if it Christine Perfect, the bane of kung fu decks, turns out to be a master of a forbidden kung fu technique

1 Like

First, let me say that I appreciate all the work done on Too Tough to Die and Reckoning. I just started playing Doomtown about six months ago (I have been a long time MtG player prior to that). The art, balance, abilities etc. on these new sets are well thought out and among the highest quality.

I would like to see a servitor that rewards players for building a deck without duplicate cards (also commonly referred to as a “singleton” deck in many TCGs, where only 1x of any card in allowed).

Many games I play have players putting x4 of the same action cards etc. and it ends up making decks feel very “samey” and less exciting because the decks usually have the same pattern of action cards. A servitor with a condition that a player could only use him if there are no duplicates cards in the deck, would encourage players to expand deck building options and avoid the same 4x pistol whips found in many decks. The servitors benefit could be a mere production bonus, or something simple. Doesn’t have to be competitive or unbalanced, just something to give players a reason to build a singleton deck in casual play.

9 Likes

Thanks on behalf of the playtest team! I agree on the art side of things too - lots of great pieces in recent sets. Really enjoying the mechanical side of things too, design doing a grand job.

The “Singleton” style is something we used to call Highlander (“There can be only one”) when I played Classic in Glasgow, it’s great fun. That sounds like a pretty cool idea for a Legend - a deck building restriction in exchange for some benefit (perhaps card throughput in your hand? I’d be wary on production bonuses). Holding “Highlander” tournaments is fun and I think the card pool might be big enough to support it now? Could make a fun event. :thumbsup:

Welcome aboard Doomtown!

1 Like

Harrowed! We need more dead guys and actions, deeds and goods (abilities) that help them.

Besides that I would love two things:

1. More cards that you can build a deck around - cards like Puppet, Miasmatic Purifier etc. that promotes decks and plays with different ways of winning. Really love that.

2. Totally theorycrafting - but the return of events somehow. I love the idea that there is a small effect that works just for that day. The way I would design it is to have actions/goods/deeds/dudes that are just a bit underpowered but has an event effect if they are revealed in lowball/shootout hands. This would also open up a whole new design aspect of the game - whivh I would love.

3 Likes