Shotgun Micah

EDIT
My current iterations. So now I have two potential versions of the deck, one of which doesn’t use Micah at all.

This first one uses Mirror, Mirror to increase Micah’s bullets until a Shotgun comes along, and later in conjunction with his ability to increase the reach of your shotgun.
http://dtdb.co/en/decklist/1835/shotgun-micah

The second uses the tattooed man to take advantage of both shotgun and paralysis mark. I’m thinking I could also use soul blast here.
http://dtdb.co/en/decklist/1836/shotgun-blast-

ENDEDIT

I’ve never made a deck before, so I’m uncertain on a lot. It’s quite a simple deck really, reducing value with micah and the gang and then shotgun/puppet everything.

Shotgun Micah

Oddities of Nature (Faith and Fear)

Dude (12)
1x Clint Ramsey (Base Set)
1x Kevin Wainwright (Base Set)
2x Micah Ryse (Exp.1)* (Faith and Fear)
2x Pagliaccio** (Faith and Fear)
1x Steele Archer (Base Set)
2x The Brute* (Election Day Slaughter)
2x Tyxarglenak (Base Set)
1x Valeria Batten* (Faith and Fear)

Deed (8)
2x B & B Attorneys (Base Set)
1x California Tax Office (Faith and Fear)
1x Dead Dog Tavern (Base Set)
1x Jackson’s Strike (Base Set)
1x Town Council (New Town, New Rules)
2x Undertaker (Base Set)

Goods (4)
4x Shotgun (Base Set)

Spell (12)
4x Corporeal Twist (Double Dealin’)
4x Forget (New Town, New Rules)
4x Puppet (Election Day Slaughter)

Action (16)
4x Coachwhip! (Base Set)
2x Flight of the Lepus (Frontier Justice)
2x Hex Slingin’ (Base Set)
4x Kidnappin’ (Base Set)
4x Pistol Whip (Base Set)

Cards up to Frontier Justice

Decklist published on http://dtdb.co.

I’m wondering:

Should change my draw structure to be more evenly spread? I’m still struggling with what makes a good structure.

Should I have jake smiley over a Pagliaccio or funtime Freddy instead of Valeria.

Suggestions?

Overall I think this is quite a solid deck. It will shoot quite well and should generally do favourably with the Pagliaccios to reduce your opponents bullets. Saying that, there are a few things I would change to make it a bit stronger.

1. Remove the 2nd copies of Micah and The Brute.
  • They’re both in your starting posse so if you draw them before you’ve lost them they’re dead cards in your hand.
  • If they’re aced their again dead cards and if they’re discarded then any other dude is as good as them for getting more influence back and they don’t have the downside of being dead cards.
  1. Puppet will be difficult to succeed.
  • All your value reduction is shootout based. Any value lost will be regained at the end of the shootout, before you can use Puppet.
  • As such, you’re mostly going to be Puppet’ing on low values which you’ll mostly just shotgun anyway.
  • I’d drop maybe 1-2 (it’s still a nice surprise) for Faithful Hound to soak some casualties should things go wrong.
  1. Other minor things
  • I think replacing a Pagliaccio with Jake Smiley is reasonable. Gives you some extra influence and doesn’t force you to control the town square.
  • In this case I’d stick with Valeria over Funtime Freddy purely because of Valeria’s influence. It’s always useful to have mobile influence for contesting deeds.
  • I’d try to fit in a few more deeds. I like to go for 12/13 so you’ve got a reasonably chance of drawing them. You don’t have any upkeep but your goods will quickly eat into your income.and if your deeds are contested you might be a little sad. I’d drop a Shotgun, Corporeal Twist and Pistol Whip and replace with some deeds.
1 Like

All very good points, and I’d forgotten about how aceing characters works. I’ll revise my list shortly. Any comment on draw structure?

Draw structure looked fine. 2x16 with some concentrated off value seems to be getting popular but I’ve not played around much with it so I don’t know how well it shoots.

I’ll stick with it for the moment then :smile:

I’m wondering if I should replace puppet with paralysis mark, to maintain the number of cards that take advantage of micah’s effect…

EDIT: never mind. Shootout only, right?

Have you considered Stone Idol? It can drop a dude’s value by 3 as either a noon or shootout action, so can help for shotgunning a dude or puppeting them. It’s unique, so you don’t really want 4 of them in your deck.

I’ll mostly second GT’s advice

If you’re adding a few more deeds, look for ones that have a decent cost to production ratio to get your economy going. As you seem to be hoping to own the town square and build control points via Corporeal Twist, you don’t necessarily need too many with control points, and while opponents might still move to economy deeds to deny you income, it’s not directly helping them win the game if there’s no control on the deed. That said, a General Store is always handy for Oddities to equip stuff to your dudes in the town square.

I’d also add a couple more dudes with printed influence in the deck. If you lose the town square (or run off to kidnap someone), any influence your abominations get from the home’s trait disappears, which could inadvertantly put you in a sticky situation.

I’ll definitely try to fit 1 stone idol it at some point.
Shotgun Micah

Oddities of Nature (Faith and Fear)

Dude (14)
1x Arnold McCadish (Base Set)
1x Clint Ramsey (Base Set)
1x Jake Smiley* (Election Day Slaughter)
2x Jia Mein (Base Set)
1x Kevin Wainwright (Base Set)
1x Leonardo “Leon” Cavallo (Double Dealin’)
1x Micah Ryse (Exp.1)* (Faith and Fear)
1x Pagliaccio* (Faith and Fear)
2x Smiling Tom (Election Day Slaughter)
1x The Brute* (Election Day Slaughter)
1x Tyxarglenak (Base Set)
1x Valeria Batten* (Faith and Fear)

Deed (10)
1x Blake Ranch (Base Set)
1x California Tax Office (Faith and Fear)
3x General Store (Base Set)
1x Hunter Protections (Election Day Slaughter)
2x Jackson’s Strike (Base Set)
1x The Pharmacy (Base Set)
1x Undertaker (Base Set)

Goods (6)
2x Guide Horse (Foul Play)
4x Shotgun (Base Set)

Spell (10)
4x Corporeal Twist (Double Dealin’)
4x Fetch (Double Dealin’)
2x Forget (New Town, New Rules)

Action (12)
2x Flight of the Lepus (Frontier Justice)
2x Hex Slingin’ (Base Set)
4x It’s Not What You Know… (Double Dealin’)
4x Kidnappin’ (Base Set)

52 cards with printed value (required 52)
Cards up to Foul Play

Deck built on http://dtdb.co.

This build is quite different. What do you think? I might have messed up the draw structure. Also, I’m wondering about mongwau over Valeria as a backup shotgun wielder. Worth it?

Moar tinkering!

So now I have two potential versions of the deck, one of which doesn’t use Micah at all.

This first one uses Mirror, Mirror to increase Micah’s bullets until a Shotgun comes along, and later in conjunction with his ability to increase the reach of your shotgun.
http://dtdb.co/en/decklist/1835/shotgun-micah

The second uses the tattooed man to take advantage of both shotgun and paralysis mark. I’m thinking I could also use soul blast here.
http://dtdb.co/en/decklist/1836/shotgun-blast-

I’ve updated the first post too.