The Road to Tombstone: Epitaph Series Results

To answer some of the data questions, here ya go:

-2016 Sheriff Season: There were 25 Sheriff Events to my knowledge: 23 on the website (https://www.alderac.com/doomtown/events/2016-sheriff-event-schedule/) and 2 add ons at minimum I’m aware of (Jenkintown and UK). We had 28 Epitaph Events, with Spain and Sweden cancelling their application and Indianapolis being added, so the numbers are pretty much the same. I believe one of those ad ons were in the UK, as there were no scheduled worldwide events, so that’s new territory!

-OCTGN League had 25 Participants; having an official online event is something new that we wanted to support. Newcastle had 16 players and I believe Portland with 11 players was the highest in USA. Most events averaged 6-7 players (see original post), which reflects the average playgroup in areas that have consistent ones. Unfortunately with only Facebook and dtdb posts about last Sheriff season, we don’t have those attendance numbers.

-Not everyone provided data; there are a few events that did not report in and not all of them reported all the different outfits, as we were mainly tracking just the factions and ensuring winning decklists got posted. If there’s interest in specific data for the Fall series, I will surely create a spreadsheet and do my best to encourage all the specifics, much like Travis Rhoades did for the 2015 Sheriff Season.

3 Likes

I think it would useful to track outfits. My feeling having played in two epitaph events and the UK champs the majority of Law dogs were LD original and the majority of Morgan were regulators the others seemed to be more split. I would have liked to see if my observations were played out at other events

Faction breakdown analysis:

-Morgan Regulators and Law Dogs base were the heavy winners. Regulators taking some early wins may be attributed to them being right after the Regulators finals at the European Championship. As stated in another thread, Law Dogs have excellent starters now and with the ability to bring in money from bounties, were the top choice this event series. I also believe that in knowing the story was moving to Tombstone, there may have been some players pushing for this story choice. There was a Gadgetorium win in Knoxville and a winning/high placing Stables deck as well. It appears there were some mix in Miracles being run out of base LD and Abram’s Crusaders, but I believe base were the only LD wins.

-108 saw a mix between Kung Fu and Swarm/Movement, with both outfits getting a couple wins in. It appears with Worldly Desires out of the way, we’re seeing more of a variety of 108 decks.

-Fourth Ring got in a few wins as well and were right up there as 3rd faction most played with a good mix of base, Sanitorium, Oddities, and Full Moon Brotherhood (I believe this was most played)

-Eagle Wardens finally saw a win in the end, with several decks being posted on dtdb, including Veil pseudo-fortress, base EW, and a Gateway deck being highlighted.

Here is the Portland breakdown by place and home:

1st = 108 Drunken Masters
2nd = Den of Thieves
3rd = Protection Racket
4th = Morgan Cattle Co.
5th = Sanatorium
6th = Full Moon Brotherhood
7th = Desolation Row
8th = Morgan Regulators
9th = Law Dogs
10th = Morgan Stables
11th = The Fourth Ring

A pretty good spread!

We had 3 factions with x3 homes each but no duplicates. The big surprise was the resurgence of Sloane and the Fourth Ring, and the near total lack of Law Dogs. Our last tournament was primarily Law Dogs which may explain why people chose to play something different.

4 Likes

Sounds like an awesome time was had, I’ll be sure to stop in next year, been meaning to take a trip to Portland.

I forgot to discuss Sloane. They also had a good mix of all their outfits represented, but with only one win. It appears they’re stuck right now in a post Rico nerf slump and the rise of the Law Dogs keeping them in check, but hopefully we’ll see a resurgence soon.

3 Likes

Plus a second (?) Epitaph win for Sloane late in the season in Iowa alongside the earlier Florida win:

https://dtdb.co/en/decklist/2456/sloane-comes-to-town-des-moines-epitaph-1st-place-

[quote=“Lapp, post:45, topic:1854”]
I forgot to discuss Sloane. They also had a good mix of all their outfits represented, but with only one win. It appears they’re stuck right now in a post Rico nerf slump and the rise of the Law Dogs keeping them in check, but hopefully we’ll see a resurgence soon.[/quote]

My DesRow flush deck took an unexpected nose dive at the tournament. It has been on a tear locally, not dropping a game in the last 10 or so times I’ve played it. However, on Saturday I just could not draw into anything. I should’ve realized it was an auspicious day when I drew a joker into every starting hand and then aced them all in lowball later on.

In my second match I only needed a flush to win the final shootout. With 38 clubs in the deck that’s not even a consideration - I’ve never drawn anything less than a flush in a shootout in the 2 years I’ve experimented with this deck structure. Well, there’s a first time for everything! Even with 2 stud and 1 redraw all I could muster was a pair of 10s and that was game. My opponent and I played again as we waited for others to wrap up and of course everything went swimmingly!

Edit: Lapp, drifters are always welcome! We had jordan caldwell from these forums make the trip up to Portland for the tournament this weekend. If you give me a heads up, I’ll schedule a Beers n’ Bullets Night that Thursday so our group can take over a local watering hole and ace some dudes.

5 Likes

Gadgetorium didnt play epitaph in Knoxville. One did place in a sheriff last year. 3rd, I think.

My apologies, I meant Myrtle Beach I believe.

No problem, glad my law dogs took part in a close run for the finish.

1 Like