Timing of Reacts: Pearly's Palace vs. Five Aces Gambling Hall (for example)

Wanted to make sure I had my head around the timing of Reacts, specifically Pearly’s Palace.

Pearly’s Palace

Controller React, Boot: After a shootout starts but before any player makes a Shootout play, make a Shootout play.

Five Aces Gambling Hall
React, Boot: After posses are formed, if you own the mark, one of your wanted dudes joins your posse (moving if necessary).

My question
Five Aces reacts to Posses forming, and appears to have an immediate effect of adding a dude to your posse (that just formed), while Pearly’s reacts “after a shootout starts”, but has an effect of making a shootout play “before any Player makes a shootout play”.

In the case of a call-out starting a shootout, I believe the order of operations would be:

1. Call-out accepted, shootout starts.

2. After shootout starts, declare Pearly’s react

3. Form posses

4. Declare five aces, move dude with five aces.

5. Take Pearly’s play

6. Normal Shootout action sequence, starting with Winner

?

Whereas, if a Job is run:

1. Form Posses

2. Declare five aces, move dude with five aces.

3. After posses are formed, shootout starts, declare Pearly’s react

4. Take Pearly’s play

5. Normal Shootout action sequence, starting with Winner

?

Thanks!

1 Like

Under review!

Here’s how it should work.

1. accept a call out or initiate a job card
  2. form posses/move posses for job rules
  3. Start the shootout and take shootout actions

We will need to clean things up a little in the rulebook to clarify when a shootout actually starts, but the above steps make sure that most of these things will be triggered and resolved in the same order regardless of job/callout situation.

Five aces would always move the dude into a posse before the actual shootout begins.

Pearlys will react after posses are formed, but before players start taking shootout actions.

3 Likes