Who choses targets?

Hey folks,

I have a question regarding who chooses the effects of cards. My gaming group assumes that if a card says “a dude here”, or something similar, then the player whose dudes it’s referring to gets to choose. The controller of the ability only gets to choose the opposing posse member if it specifically states, “You get to choose.” An example being Coachwhip: Normally the opposing player chooses who to boot or ace, unless the person who played Coachwhip has a legal hand.

That therefore makes some cards fairly weak. Mirror, Mirror, for example, doesn’t state that the huckster’s player chooses, just “an opposing dude.” So, I assume this means the opponent can choose? Used in most normal shootouts, with a range of dudes in it, that spell likely won’t have much effect. I am cool with that, since it does have a very low pull rank and card value. However, if we use the assumption of the target player chooses unless the card says “You choose”, then we run into some problems. The card “Red Horse’s Tail” has a pull of X where X is the value of a dude at this location. In this case, would the target be required to choose the dude before the pull is drawn? Potentially, they could just choose their highest value dude, knowing you’re not likely to succeed.

So, I guess overall, what I’m asking is who gets to choose who spells and effects target? Is it the player being affected unless the card specifically states that you choose?

Thanks!

Regards,
Bojangles

2 Likes

Hi Bojangles! The player using the ability chooses.

For instance, the player controlling the caster for Red Horse’s Tail chooses the target among the available options of Dudes present.

I’ve passed this along to Rules Team to make sure it is clear in our next rulebook update :cowboy_hat_face:

To follow up, refer to this line of the rules:

The controller of a card is the person who gets to make all the decisions about what the card does. Whenever a card refers to “you,” it is referring to the controller of the card.