Worlds 2018 Pine Box Recap

A little tale about our trip. Doesn’t mention half as many names or all our adventures but we endeavored to spotlight how Doomtown is truly a game about community :slight_smile:

http://pineboxentertainment.com/2018/05/14/world-championship-weekend-2018-recap/

7 Likes

@Lapp - a fine write-up, thanks! :slight_smile:

I think this is missing a link to the fiction website " our new site dedicated to the Doomtown story, linked here: (INSERT LINK OF NEW SITE)". Is this something that’s going live soon?

1 Like

Yes :cowboy_hat_face: To my knowledge it’s just missing a few uploads of fiction, including a new one

2 Likes

Every year, these tournaments/events become more about the people than the game…

Looking forward to seeing those who can make it out to Gencon in a few months! (and for those who can’t, I’ll meet you in OCTGN :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

Quick Recap of the 4R RPG session - the players had some pretty hot dice, should probably vet these next time… :wink:

• Bayou Vermillion recruited a posse of “things that go bump in the night” or at least summon/fraternise with things that go bump in the night. Their mission: to break the protective wards that the Eagle Wardens used to raid Bayou Vermillion assets and then disappear beyond the reach of tracking magics.
  • The posse was ultimately successful in its goal, researching who had performed the ritual and that they could break the ritual using bones and relics linked to the caster.
  • Papa Marais had a glorious moment, summoning a Barrier to allow his allies to cross a broad river in the Hunting grounds, then dropping the Barrier to condemn the Spirit Bear protecting the relics to being swept away by the river. I was convinced I’d get a chance to maul a third PC, having drawn a 10C for initiative, only to see a cavalcade of face cards and even a joker ahead of me. Pretty sure it wasn’t just the dice that were loaded… Marais also took full advantage of his native Tombstone knowledge to draw up a perfect distraction, utilising the Cowboys and Avie Cline to draw Tombstone’s inhabitants across town and allowing their ritual to be performed at Fifth and Allan, where numerous murders have made the veil between this world and the Hunting Worlds thin. Also stopped Avie succumbing to her Manitou in the hunting grounds.
  • Ambrose Douglas was the ideal master mind, researching the mysteries the group was faced with, coordinating plans, keeping up an excellent accent (much better than the Marshal’s! Apparently everyone in Tombstone is a Frat-boy - in my defence, it was that or make them all recent immigrants from Scotland. Or indeed even Ireland if I was feeling adventurous) and even proving a dab hand with a shotgun on occasion.
  • Zebulon Whateley-Dupont proved himself worth of the death he suffered in Sunday’s storyline tournament, downing a Spirit Eagle after the rest of the posse blazed away at ineffectually, kicking two surrendered prisoners from a moving train and generally being an arrogant wretch. :wink: His climactic moment came in winning a closing duel against a competing relic hunter and discarding his knife to close on his panic stricken opponent. His announced his intention to drag his defeated foe to the top of a building and chuck him off which proved too much for even the rest of the Fourth Ring posse. Irked at this dispute, Zeb settled for merely executing his surrendering foe. A bastard, but a magnificent bastard.
  • Avie Cline began by almost throwing the adventure off the rails with a stunning persuasion role on Wyatt Earp, taking full advantage of his historically troubled marriage! The Earps then helped arrest some bushwackers who were competing with the Fourth Ring for relics. After a brief Hunting Grounds wrestle with her Manitou, she was back on full form to foil an attempted ambush, turning the tables and soul blasting a trio of would be bushwackers in a single action!
  • Numerous failed Notice rolls, at one point prompting half the posse to attempt a dramatic escape from nothing at all! Some failed Riding rolls hitting them with fatigue/injuries but enabling their exciting escape from nothing at all.
  • Our emergency 5th PC was Richard Slavin’s long lost brother ;), who proved his worth in investigating strange happening and also proved a surprisingly proficient salmon hunter. This made him a natural target for the previously mentioned Spirit Bear, where Mr Slavin proved an equally adept meat shield while the rest of the posse came up with a plan to deal with the bear.
  • The posse got its revenge on a particularly irksome shopkeeper from early in their mission by using Puppet to make him part of their distraction, sending him streaking through Tombstone via Puppet.
  • A strategically placed Tonton Macoute was ideal in ensuring nobody got to curious about whatever was taking place on Fifth and Allan.
  • The ritual had all the component needed, helping Bayou Vermillion track the Eagle Wardens and contributing to the two Eagle Warden fatalities from Sunday’s tournament.

Paging @davido4015 and the rest of our glorious story team, who can use as much or as little of this as needed.

Thanks for being such a great posse guys and engaging with both the mystery element and the actions scenes on such a baking hot day! The commentary on Tombstone’s heat was supposed to put us in the scene and provide a contrast to the brief side trip to the unnatural cold of the Hunting Grounds scene, not remind us of how unseasonably hot Manchester was!

Cheers for not punching me at the opening stunt where everyone was presented with a “Hawley’s Rose” and a fake Pagliaccio character sheet, prompting one player to wonder if they were facing four hours of mime…

5 Likes

Many thanks, Sherrif Robbie. I’m not sure that my accent would fool a native though.

It was great fun, and an awesome scenario. I do promise that we didn’t bring loaded dice though!

1 Like

Cheatin’ dice and marked cards would have been genre appropriate!

The RPG stuff seemed to go well, so we’ll see if it shows up at future conventions/Doomtown events. It gave us a chance to get to know Zebulon before his well-earned death, and also helped flesh out Papa Marais and Ambrose Douglas, who are new. The whole thing is head canon for me until the story team disown my nonsense. :wink:

Also, :cry: at whichever moderator started the “Sheriff Robbie” tag: it was initially an in-joke as the American’s baffled the Edinburgh player base after meeting me in person and referring to me as “Robbie” in person and on-line. A joke at my expense that I hope at least bonded the hard-working playtest team against a common enemy…

(A quick archive search confirms this was @Alex, so best not to risk the head honcho’s wrath and change it)

2 Likes

Well, there was an English Sherrif in Silverado, no reason that there can’t be a Scottish one in the Weird West :slight_smile:

If there’s another roleplay event within Babysitter/travel range I’m sure we’ll join in. I intend to update my core set of the Original Doomtown and give the card game another go as well.

If anything that Ambrose and Marais did under our control makes it into the Canon 'twould be a proud moment for the pair of us!

6 Likes

The events are directly influencing the fiction for the next expansion, ‘Too Tough to Die,’ so we’ll see how many of these antics @davido4015 and his team can include :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

That was me. Would you like it changed?

Ha, no. It seems to entertain the other Edinburgh players. :slight_smile:

2 Likes