Doomtown Movies?

In a similar vein to the music thread, what films do you guys return to over and again to get you in a gunfighting, wild west mood.

(Can we ban the first guy that posts Wild Wild West?)

Personally I love me some Quick and the Dead action. When I feel like a monster deck building of folder sorting session it goes straight on. (Judging by the number of signatures quoting the “My Town” line I suspect I’m not alone in this.)

Also, we really need reprints of “You’re Not fast Enough For Me” and “Today I am” I’m looking at you Db0 :slight_smile:

Tombstone and Billy the Kid and the show deadwood

The classical modern answers … Tombstone … The Quick and the Dead … Deadwood (even though it’s a TV show).

I am a great fan of Maverick and Young Guns (the first one mostly).
I also love True Grit and 3:10 to Yuma, and the Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.
Open Range is a very understated and well done modern western. I also kind of enjoyed the Hatfields and McCoys miniseries.

If you’re into something a bit more out there …
The Warrior’s Way
The Good, the Bad, the Weird
Rango

Cowboys and Aliens was a bit of a disappointment for me, but I can see how some would really like it.

While not a movie, I consider Firefly/Serenity a western in a LOT of ways. It has a number of characteristics of great western story-telling in addition to the obvious connections.

1 Like

Open Range has one of the best (and longest) gunfights in a movie. If anybody hasn’t seen it then you need to.

In fact, go find a copy now… go on, we can wait for you. :smiley:

It’s a TV show rather than a film, but I’d definitely say The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. Weird West action with Bruce Campbell - you can’t go wrong!

The Good, the Bad and the Weird is an awesome film!

@Whizzwang I liked Wild Wild West! (Then again my taste in films is somewhat suspect…)

Django from '69 is a perfect slice of Deadlands.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is one of my favorites for sure. I’ve been meaning to see the original The Magnifacent Seven but I’ve heard mixed things about it.

If they didn’t so crazy with the Tarantino, the new Django would be great too. As it stands, it’s got awesome moments, but it’s so over-the-top, it’s hard to really invest in.

Tarantino is over rated - he’s trying too hard to be “Tarantino” these days. Kill Bill is the same - could have been awesome - actually a pile of shite

I enjoyed Django Unchained and I’m pretty excited for The Hateful 8, but yeah Kill Bill was pretty awful.

Once Upon a Time in the West
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
For a Fistful of Dollars
For a Few Dollars More…

1 Like

El Topo.

…why not?

So the for the third GG forum running I’m going to recommend The Good, The Bad and the Weird, the Korean re-imagining of the Clint Eastwood Classic.

That movie is bizarre. It’s so fun though.