FAQ & collected rulings

Here I’ve collected official rulings for cards from the three most recent saddlebags and the faction pack. Some of these are also present in the latest FAQ, but most are not. Hopefully @platypus will implement the Individual Card Rulings section on dtdb soon, and that will preemptively answer many questions that new players have. If you think that something important is missing from this list, or something irrelevant or obvious is present and should be removed, please feel free to comment.

Frontier Justice

Louis Pasteur

• Louis makes the skill check, not the player, so Doyle’s Hoyle can be used. (Source)

Gomorra Jail

• Shootouts take place during the High Noon phase.

Diable en Boite

• As it is a React ability (not Resolution), if it causes one posse to become empty, it will not immediately stop the shootout, and so the other player will still have to take casualties (if applicable). (Source)
  • If the equipped dude is saved with Arnold McCadish or Lay On Hands, you cannot activate the React ability. (Source)

Recursive Motion Machine

• If a card effect says “move this dude into a posse”, but the dude doesn’t actually change location, you cannot use the React ability. (Source)

Fancy New Hat

• Does not work retroactively, only prevents future effects. (Source)
  • Does not protect from traits (Hustings) or your own effects (Mortimer Parsons) (Source)

Shield of Faith

• Your casualties are reduced by 1 only for this round; the rest of the effect applies for the whole shootout.
  • Protects from Takin’ Ya With Me and Hot Lead Flyin’.
  • In the event of a tie in hand ranks, only the loser must discard/ace dudes (if it’s a perfect tie, i.e. two Dead Man’s Hands, then there is no loser). (Source)
  • Casualties still apply, and the winner still has to cover as many as they can (matters if they have Harrowed dudes or Sidekicks. (Source)
  • A player can ace opposing dudes if he owns them (i.e. affected by Puppet). (Source)
  • Dude cards can still be discarded/aced from a player’s hand (i.e. by This’ll Hurt In The Mornin’). (Source)

Rope and Ride

• Opposing a job is not the same as accepting a callout. (Source)
  • You can use two of these in succession, if your dude has an unbooted horse. (Source)
  • If you call out a dude at an opponent’s private location, then move them to a public location, your dudes will not get any bounty for breakin’ and enterin’. (Source)

Incubation

• The affected dude’s controller cannot use the ability printed on this card to reattach it to another dude. (Source)
  • Forget cannot be used to remove the ability to discard Incubation from a dude. (Source)

Flight of the Lepus

• You can choose your dudes and opposing dudes at the same time. (Source)
  • You must boot either all of them or none. (Source)
  • If you choose Tyxarglenak, you may also choose any hucksters in the opposing posse. (Source)

No Turning Back

Ebenezer Springfield

• ‘Affects’ means ‘Has a direct effect on your dude. Including boot/discard/ace your dude, turn him from stud to draw, increase/decrease bullets/influence/value. Does not include an indirect effect such as discarding an attached goods - even if the loss of the goods affects the dude.’ (Source)

Elander Boldman (Exp.1)

• If he is in a shootout, his ability cannot be used to unboot a Gadget outside of the shootout. (Source)

Antheia Pansofia

• If Slade Lighbody pulls a club, then uses his ability and pulls another club, Antheia’s bonus will apply twice. (Source)

Harry Highbinder

• Controlling the town square means you can attach goods to your dudes there by Shoppin’ or Tradin’, attach Totems to the town square itself (Source), and also use Stagecoach Office to bring in new dudes there.

Jacqueline Isham

• Don’t forget to announce that you’re using her ability, it doesn’t trigger automatically.
  • Her ability can be used if any of your dudes (including herself) accepted a callout or opposed a job. (Source)
  • She remains a stud until the end of shootout. (Source)

Asyncoil Gun

• The equipped dude makes the pull, not the player, so Doyle’s Hoyle can be used. (Source)

Scoop Hound

• Prevents Shootout plays that bring new dudes into play and move them into a posse (Raising Hell, Clown Carriage, Hired Help, Shane & Graves Security, Spirit Dance, The Pack Awakens). (Source)

Vitality Tonic

• If the React ability is used, effects that trigger on a dude being aced (The Brute, The Undertaker) do not trigger. (Source)
  • If a dude is supposed to be aced to cover casualties but is saved with the Tonic’s ability, that dude is now considered as being discarded as a casualty, and thus can be further saved by Arnold McCadish. (Source)

No Turning Back

• Token dudes can be aced normally. (Source)
  • Acing a dude is part of the cost (“do X to do Y” format), thus React abilities cannot be used to save that dude from being aced (Dr. Emanuel Ashbel, Vitality Tonic, Lay On Hands), but a Harrewed dude will get discarded, not aced. (Source)
  • Will set casualties to zero after Takin’ Ya With Me and Hot Lead Flyin’ increase them, effectively negating these cards. (Source)

Nightmare at Noon

Warren Graves

• Warren’s ability can be used even if the only dude in a posse is about to get discarded / aced / sent home, and the shootout will not end immediately. (Source)

John “Aces” Radcliffe

• After John’s ability triggers, does he remain a stud until the end of shootout, or for the rest of the turn? (Pending)

Dog’s Duster

• Only prevents non-wanted Deputies from gaining a bounty for participating in a shootout at your opponent’s private location (breakin’ and enterin’). Does not affect dudes who are already wanted, and dudes participating in a Kidnappin’.

For Such a Time as This

• ‘This Miracle’s skill check’ means pull + modifiers, not difficulty.

Buried Treasure

• Does acing a dude card from the discard pile trigger The Undertaker? (Pending)

Immovable Object, Unstoppable Force

Benjamin Washington

• If you discard several cards, you may choose several dudes and give -2 upkeep to each one. (Source)

Randall

• At the start of the game you draw exactly 5 cards, not up to your maximum hand size. (Source)

Hamshanks

• Presumably works the same way as Tyxarglenak in relation to Flight of the Lepus.

Three-Eyed Hawk

• Sidekicks must be aced if you have to take excessive casualties. (Source)

Sarah Meoquanee

• Her trait references the Spirit keyword that spells have, not Spirit tokens. (Source)

Laughing Crow

• You can attach revealed Spirit spells to any of your Shamans anywhere, including booted and in locations you don’t control. This does not apply to Totems. (Source)

Nunchucks

• Can be used to affect pulls performed by the opponent or opposing dudes (skill checks, etc.) (Source)

Idol of Tlazolteotl

• To attach something legally means to attach it to something it could legally attach to as it enters play. (Source) That also means you can only re-attch Totems to locations that you control where you have an unbooted Shaman. (Source)

Spirit Trail

• If one Spirit Trail is attached to your home and another one to any deed (even out of town), your dudes can move from home to that deed without booting, as these locations are now adjacent. (Source)
  • A Shaman with a Buffalo Rifle can join the shootout at that deed from home, without moving or booting, and can use Totems attached to your home.

The Pack Awakens

• Can be used only if your Shaman is present at this location and is participating in the shootout. (Source)

• Enemy Gunslinger tokens also become Harrowed.

• General Store cannot be used to attach Totems to locations you don’t control, or locations where you only have a booted Shaman. (Source)

• Can a Shaman affected by Unprepared cast Totems? (Pending)

9 Likes

Great job :grinning:

Indeed. Well done matey!

Just a couple of notes

Whether the shootout ends upon a posse becoming empty is related to the step it emptys in. Your cited source refers to a player using Diable en Boite during Step 5 (Take Yer Lumps) where an empty posse does not cause you to skip to Step 7 (Chamber another Round). If you use Diable en Boite during Step 1 (Make Plays) or Step 4 (Reveal & Resolve) and it emptys the posse you skip straight to Step 7 as normal.

A player can ace opposing dudes (with his card abilities or traits) if he owns them (not controls them).

Other than that it’s a good summary.

[quote=“Kaptain_O, post:5, topic:535”]
Whether the shootout ends upon a posse becoming empty is related to the step it emptys in.[/quote]
It was my understanding that it is related specifically to Shootout and Resolution abilities, not corresponding steps. This is why Mortimer Parsons has his ability written in rules text, not help text: because the rules don’t force the shootout to immediately end after his trait causes one posse to become empty during the Reveal & Resolve step.

If, due to the use of Shootout abilities, there’s only one posse left in the shootout, the shootout ends immediately; skip to step 7.

If, due to the use of Resolution abilities, one player loses all the dudes in their posse (aced or discarded), the shootout immediately ends; skip to step 7.

Thanks for Shield of Faith + Puppet, fixed.

MatGB ruled on this 9/30/14
http://www.alderac.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=375&t=110201#p1441917
Gamesmeister ruled on this 12/31/14
http://www.alderac.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=375&t=111913&p=1451230&

As far as I’m aware those rulings have not been reversed at this point.

Should the rulebook be corrected then?

Probably!

Personally, I believe the way it’s currently written in the rulebook is more convenient and easier to remember for new players. Everyone knows what Shootout and Resolution abilities are and when you can use them, but I suspect that many players are not aware that revealing cards and playing Resolutions happen during the same step.

Wow well done!
Someone had to do it, and now everone will benefit :smiley:

Awesome post!

I’d like to mention that it is thanks to ‘Seriously Brian’ Flory that we folks on OCTGN realized that you could flee after your opponent’s posse fled or was wiped out. Before, we thought that the shootout ends immediately if one posse becomes empty at any point. New players still get surprised when I tell them otherwise. It was @BD_Flory’s enthusiasm and inquisitiveness that that made me, @swider, @mysticpickle, @spyke7977, and others to understand the rules and the game better. I’m sad that he’s no longer around. Seriously Brian, come back!

4 Likes

I’m surprised you didn’t notice that the asker of the other question I quoted was me, long before I became involved with the Rules Team =)

Oh, I noticed that. But it was Brian who rediscovered that ruling and told us about it, long after in was buried and forgotten. I didn’t play online back in the MatGB era.

Actually I preferred when we played it wrong way. Commiting to the shootout was much more risky and a looser of a shootout could benefit a bit from a winner being out of possition.

Awww, thanks, @mplain. I’m on an indefinite break from the game. Old problems are going unaddressed and the rest of the card pool is moving in a direction I don’t like. I was hoping the faction pack would turn it around for me, but it didn’t.

Maybe when the card pool gets a reset (including a serious cleanup of the rules and extant card text), but God knows when/if that’ll be.

@swider, I agree. For the most part, I liked the changes to the core rules, but allowing a winning posse to chicken out (but only if they win because of casualties, not shootout or resolution plays!) is silly, inconsistent and unintuitive, and removes a significant risk factor in entering heavily advantaged shootouts and removes one possible way to bait an opponent out of a strong board position. I think both of these were negative outcomes.

1 Like

I have stronger feelings about the concept of the shootout immediately ending after Coachwhip or Point Blank without the other party having to take casualties.

I totally agree. Removing this restriction ( winner stays after loser of a round decides to flee) makes the movement and booting to join shootouts less significant, especially leaving your dudes booted at deeds was costly and was punishing all-in with plenty of shootout action strategies which I feel are completly dominating anything else apart from hucksters.
And BTW nobody changed the rule, we just played the game incorrectly since we didn’t know that after taking casualties, you can decide to go home booted after loser of a round decides to flee. And I also have to admit I was really happy when I found out about this rule, only from perspective of time I think I liked it more the other way.

I was saying it was a change from classic, where the blanket rule was empty posse, shootout over, regardless of whether it was because of plays or because the opposing posse chickened out before you could, not that the rule changed within the life of Reloaded. (In context, I was also saying that I liked most of the rules changes for Reloaded, but not that one.)

Anyway, I don’t want to get too deeply into specific issues. The only reason I came back to post was because mplain tagged me. I hope everyone who’s having fun with the game keeps on doing so.