Morgan Cattle’s Dudes n Deeds – How Changing Metas Affect an Archetype

Originally published at: http://gomorragazette.com/2015/05/25/morgan-cattles-dudes-n-deeds-how-changing-metas-affect-an-archetype/

tumblr_n852oeZJ5D1soo5b1o1_1280

With the release of Faith and Fear, the first 'big box' expansion for Doomtown: Reloaded, the meta shifts in a big way. I first discuss the pre-F&F meta and some deck archetypes that rose to the top. Then I look at F&F’s cards and see which ones I can add. For the first installment of this article, I spotlight my favorite outfit, Morgan Cattle Company. Through the first saddlebag arc, Morgan decks tended to employ one of three archetypes - Dudes and Deeds, Morgan Horse, or Morgan Skill Decks. All these deck have very different play styles and all are fun to pilot. Of these, this article focuses on Dudes and Deeds.

Dudes and Deeds is a simple, but elegant, deck to play since you don't want to fight at all. Yet the wrong play often results in a quick loss. This deck plays high influence dudes such as Irving, Lula, Lane, and Max. The action cards normally feature Coachwhip, Make the Smart Choice, Pistol Whip, and Rumors to help control opposing dudes and also save your dudes from being aced. Sixteen to twenty deeds let you play out more deeds than your opponent can control. Except for the mobility offered by Mustangs and/or Pintos, D&D decks tend to not include hearts. With this deck, you play chess while your opponent tries to keep up with all the movement. This deck fears Bounty Hunters or Kidnappings that snipe your dudes or a mirror match that pushes tournament time limits.

My take on D&D starts with 6 influence and has five ghost rock at its disposal after lowball and accounting for Irving’s use of the home ability. A likely first turn drops two, if not three, deeds and forcing opponents out of their home or setting up for the next turn. If they set up for the next turn you're golden because then you will have the income to either push for the win or recruit more dudes to defend your hard-earned properties. When I played this deck, it won about two-thirds of the time, usually losing to my own mistakes or not drawing the defensive shields to keep going. Law Dogs appear to have the best counters to this build and Sloane’s lack of influence made for easier matches.

http://dtdb.co/en/deck/view/3127

With Faith and Fear upon us, let’s examine what each faction gets so we can tune our base D&D deck for the new meta. Law Dogs get some blessed goodies along with an awesome call out ability, Sloane gets cheap influence and an aggro–based outfit. Meanwhile, the Circus (Cough, Alex Hawley, Cough) gets some good dudes and some drifter with a natty purple suit and bowler. Morgan gets gadget support which really doesn’t do D&D any good, but we did receive This’ll Hurt in the Mornin’ which can ace potential threats before they hit the table. Sun in Your Eyes is a throwback courtesy of the base set, but serves as a clutch surprise when you dude find yourself on the wrong end of a gun. Of course, we include the Whatley Estate in the deck since your opponent has to boot to go there -- yes please. For all the new shiny gadgets, D&D still relies upon a trio of Mustangs to get around Gomorra. Oh, and the man of the hour, Nicodemus Whateley, provides an alternate end game strategy.

http://dtdb.co/en/deck/view/8426

While there is a new boss, the revised deck still follows most of the original game plan: avoid shootouts, playing deeds, and win by gaining control points faster than your opponent can play his/take yours. Nic is a one trick pony. If you can push the game to the check state, Nic creates a difficult choice. Your opponent either chases Nic around town to kill him, or they try to take your deeds. Whichever way they choose, you pursue the other path for the win. The Mustang protects the dude you boot for the home ability. Once trouble appears on the scene, the Mustang carries the dude back to the relative safety of home. A deed I want to add is the R&D Ranch just for the look of my opponents face if I throw Nic down there and they chase. BOOOM!

Tournament Tested

I played this deck at a local six player tourney. My first opponent played a Law Dog science deck using Arsenal that started with low influence. When I saw his starting influence, I knew what I needed to do. I had Gina shake her moneymaker, and sure enough, she nabbed me an extra Rumors. This was a quick game and I mean quick. I won lowball and dropped Hustings, Opponent now has one influence, so he brings his posse out to try to catch Irving. Rumors fly, first on Wendy and again on someone else. After that, I play Pharmacy and unboot Irving. At sundown, he has 1 influence to my 3 control points. Good over. 1-0

Next game, I squared off against the clowns. This was the first game I have played with this deck where I felt that at any moment the game could go either way. Worse, I to actually had to shoot. He had a super Ivor with a ton of spells and was rolling along. Meanwhile, I dropped dudes and deeds left and right. The moment came where it was either take out Ivor or be taken out in a Clown Carriage. I had two Coachwhips in hand and Ivor was hanging at one of my deeds. Opponent cheated on lowball, so the snake bites and I move Gina over to start a fight (Yeah, I said Gina) play a Make the Smart Choice on Ivor who stays to fight and top-decks a cheating hand. The snake bites again and GG. 2-0.

Scott is one of the smartest players I have played against in any card game. This tourney found him piloting Desolation Row starting Milt, Travis, an Aims brother, Makaio, and Jake. Faith and Fear had just dropped and this was my first look at Desolation Row, so I knew this was going to be interesting. The game started normally as I play deeds and DR does its thing, which he knows I have no effective counters. I drew one cheating card the entire game. Two turns later found Scott sitting on a ton of GR pumping out dudes and using the home ability and Hunters Protection to buff control points. He kept pace with my control points. Finally he trapped my dudes at one of my deeds, obliterating my posse and then Sloane led an Election Day Slaughter. Scott claimed a LawDog tin while I took home the Lane Healey mat. 2-1.

Overall this was a good for testing Morgan DnD against Faith n Fear’s meta-changing cards and outfits. Sloane, a gang that never bothered me before, beat me. The Law, who were my biggest threat, ended up having the town bought underneath their nose as I cruised. he circus The Circus had some scary monsters. Things that I would change would be to add in bounty hate by either adding To Much Attention and/or The Evidence to counter bountied-up dudes. Even though I didn't see more than one cheating card in my last match, I might drop one Coachwhip in favor of anti-bounty tech. Besides that, I liked how the deck played

1 Like

This article is two saddlebags old, and it describes a deck that doesn’t see much play in the current meta. Despite its name, it doesn’t actually describe “how changing metas affect an archotype”, there’s one passage about new cards from F&F used by other factions, and one passage that mentions two Whateley cards. The links to dtdb.co no longer work. So, not sure why you decided to publish it on the forum.

On the other hand, a new article about post-NTB meta that would describe how to pilot a Landslide deck in the current environment full of Des.Row and LD deck, would be quite interesting to read.

This article was written a couple saddlebags ago, my assumption here is @davido4015 made some edits and republished it.

I wrote that along time ago so yeah dudes and dudes is still viable it just takes a very good pilot to play. I might just edit this deck list and give it a try since I shelved D&D awhile ago and bring it out of retirement since the meta has evolved more towards aggro. First I need to finish the 4 articles on my desktop then I will conquer this deck again. Thank mplain for the suggestion.

2 Likes