My personal review of Nightmare at Noon as Fourth Ring player

Once you play Mister Miss, they’ll see it coming and adjust their playstyle. Where Mr.Miss goes, small dudes run away. Even if he/she enters a location with multiple enemy dudes who all want to run away, you’re unlikely to ever get more than -1 infl from that effect.

I’m not saying it’s a bad dude, not at all. But we’re yet to figure out how to use him/her properly.

Maybe the change in playstyle is enough? With a Mustang, you could be chasing 2 otherwise mobile Influence home booted per turn.

The point is, you can use any scary shooter for that. Clint Ramsey costs only 1 more, but is a natural stud with high value. Give him a mustang, and he can chase 2 mobile influence per turn just as well. Only in this case they’ll run away before you call them out. Engineering a situation where you’d actually force the opponent to lose some influence ain’t easy. You can do that by calling them out at home with It’s Who You Know or Dog’s Duster, or… something else, I don’t know what yet.

Bottom point is, whenever you think you found a good use for Mr. Miss, think if Clint Ramsey would be any worse in that situation.

Fair enough.

I think the mind games effect is more powerful than the mechanical effect. It’s also be easier to bait a trap using Mister Miss and Stakes Just Rose in some backup than it is with a big scary stud. I haven’t run a Fourth Ring deck for a while and that card is one I want to play around with and figure out how to use.

As a regular 4th Ring player I always think in terms of control and synergy with hexes. Mister Miss is all about board control and she works very well with the new move dudes around with Phantasm. Move a booted dude to her location and next high noon you can call out if you won lowball = -influence/probable dead person.

Could you do it with Clint? Yes/no. There is definetely circumstances that needs to be in her favor for her effect to be used, but she is definetely useful for the right control deck.

Why wait for next high noon? Why not kill the bastard right away?

Also, reliably using phantasm on booted dudes would require a very specific deck (10+ values starting a huckster 2).

Maybe they’re booted as well. It happens often enough that you win lowball and immediately call-out an opposing weenie who’s there to deny you income or something.

1 Like

Yeah you cant reliably pull the 12 but you can build a deck on 9-J-Q which can pull it 2/3. And if it doesnt happen - lets try again next noon phase.

From what I read here, there are some fringe opportunistic cases in which Mr.Miss would be of more use that an equally costed natural stud, but no real game plan that would make him/her be worth starting so far.

I think you underestimate how good Lula’s Exploit is.

From a 4th Ring player’s perspective? I don’t think so.

I do =)

It’s a very good deed for any deck on 8’s, don’t dismiss it just because you see the word “Gadget” on it.

I dismiss it (for a 4th Ring deck) because it costs 4, has only 2 income, no control point and no ability. Compare that to Jackson’s Strike, which a lot of 4th Ring decks are playing. If you do not play gadgets there is absolutely no reason to play this if I can instead just play Jackson’s Strike.

Comparing every new deed to Jackson’s Strike will lead to a lot of disappointment…

1 Like

True, but they are rarely exactly the same just twice as expensive.

and yet still so good…

4 for 2 is the same cost/production as the majority of deeds in the game (2 for 1) but it being out of town and not a CP means your opponent has to commit a 1 inf dude out there to deprive you of income for no gain to themselves (they aren’t gaining a CP or some kind of awesome controller ability).

Also, you can play both Jackson’s Strike and Lula’s Exploit.

What you say is true for nearly every out of town deed. Blake Ranch for example, also much better than this one. And playing Jackson’s, Blake AND exploit is overkill.

This deed pays for itself in 3 rounds, but in order to get a bonus from it you have to give up 4 GR early on, which could otherwise be invested in deeds that grant you an advantage and actually win you the game.

OoT deeds are good and there surely are reasons to play them but without an ability this one is way on the bottom of the list.

Deeds that have J value are better because they are in value for DMH, you want to play only one those to have high probability of drawing one of them.

If Blake’s Ranch fits in your draw structure and makes your Hex Difficulties then by all means run it.

If you don’t like Lula’s then don’t run it. I’m not trying to convince you, just telling the OP that I think they underestimated the card.