Spirit Design Diary

http://www.alderac.com/doomtown/2015/09/18/design-diary-spirit-guide/

As they said, the design diary discussing spirits. Nothing too ‘new’ (besides the cover art, neat!) but some nice insight into where they’re thinking.

4 Likes

I love transparent design like this. As an aspiring designer, it’s crazy insightful. As a player it provides me with a perspective I may have ignored.

1 Like

These design diaries are excellent. I really enjoyed all three (hexes, spirits and miracles).

It helped show the nuance between The Lord Provides (getting exactly the card you were praying for) and Spirit Guidance (increased card draw - the spirits can show you the way, but don’t give you specifically what you needed).

The consistent layout in all three articles and the contrasts drawn between the spell types were also helpful.

Well done again to db0/Konstantinos!

3 Likes

I like the insight into the designer’s mind’s, where their heads are at in terms of what they want to do with the different skills. It’s a definite break from classic where spell design felt a little more all over the place.

I wouldn’t mind a diary covering gadgets. Kind of curious about some of the mechanics we haven’t seen much of yet too, like Headlines, Sidekicks, Attire, Core, Union/Confederate. Not that there’s enough of any one to really cover comprehensively but it’d be nice to have something going over them, kind of what they plan for the future, etc.

Definitely agree this was a useful article. I hadn’t realized some aspects of the design (esp. the card cycling stuff). Can’t wait to give them a try once my cards finally show up.

1 Like