The Light Shineth - Full Spoilers

I would have loved to see Jackson make a showing at the funeral.

1 Like

Iā€™m dumbstruck that you cant see itā€™s not dumbfounded /sarcasm

Dumbstruck made my eyes bulge quit a bit. I very much wanted to run a all out miracle dogs, and really wanted 8ā€™s as a value, but hated ā€˜the lord providesā€™. This is a great answer to strong control decks, that run Ridden down / pistolwhip / paralysis mark / phantasmā€¦ But it also can simply unboot your blessed dude.

3 Likes

Can I get an H-E-Double Hockey Sticks YEAH!
Riccardo always amazes me with his creativity and inspiration (Like Balder, as a story team member, I have access to the art specs). So going from an idea/description to fleshed out artwork that really helps make the story ā€˜popā€™ and sell the card theme/flavor/mechanics - is amazing what Riccardo (and the other hard working artists) do time and again.
BRAVO!

2 Likes

That card just has so many applications. Give it to your shooter so that you can ensure that Point Blank fires. Give it to your low value to laugh at control. Give it to the rev to make it certain you can use his ability when needed :slight_smile:

Great set !!

I canā€™t wait to have all those new cards in my hand and Iā€™m very excited by the new outfit cool stuff !

Thanks AEG ! DTR is going so great

4 Likes

Iā€™m less impressed with it the more I try to build with it, primarily because of Difficulty 9. Itā€™s a decent card, but I donā€™t think itā€™s a game-changer.

For comparison: Blood curse is also difficulty 9 and PM also tends to hit difficulty 9 at minimum.

Blood Curse is also a Q. PM is a variable difficulty, so not really an apples-to-apples comparison. They also cost less to play. Blood Curse also has multiple abilities. Both BC and PM also will generally benefit from all of their effects regardless of your opponentā€™s deck, whereas Dumbstruckā€™s 1st effect is completely reliant on your opponentā€™s deck. Dumbstruck can also only affect the attached caster, rather than having a full playing field of targets.

Donā€™t get me wrong, being able to unboot is great. Being immune to opposing boot/move effects is situationally good-to-amazing. Itā€™s a decent card, and Iā€™ll definitely consider it when deckbuilding. Iā€™m not stating itā€™s a coaster, but Paralysis Mark- and Blood Curse-levels of strength it is not.

1 Like

Well, the unboot effect is good on its own regardless. At worst, itā€™s a free movement.

And yes, PM and BQ do have those benefits over it, but tbf, those spells are prolly a bit on the ā€œtoo goodā€ side :wink:

My point was merely that difficulty 9 by itself, isnā€™t the big deal usually.

This is actually a fairly significant drawback with the current crop of Blesseds available. Any Blessed 0 runs the risk of failing this cast with Dumbstruckā€™s own value. That impacts Deborah, Sr. Lois, and Burton who would all otherwise be great targets for this spell. (Also Ebenezar but like Alien: Resurrection I choose to believe he doesnā€™t exist because it is less painful than the alternative.)

Iā€™d disagree, both for the reason I just stated (it impacts 3 of our best Blesseds so far) and because the effect of Dumbstruck obviously synergizes with other combat-oriented effects like Holy Roller and Shield of Faith which will fail for essentially every caster. Thereā€™s only two Blessed 2 at the moment, and youā€™re not likely to want to stack combat spells on either of them as a go-to strategy.

This is clearly just an opinion, but I feel that the design of Miracles has been somewhat hampered by the general reception to early, strong Hexes. Dumbstruck definitely strikes me as a card that had the potential to be a very strong, perhaps archetype-defining card but Design took an overly cautious approach to it and weā€™re left with something that just feels like it was nerfed one too many times.

Iā€™d be very curious to see the playtest results that led to a 2-cost, 9-difficulty design for the effects on this card.

1 Like

Poor Ebenezer. Donā€™t worry olā€™ guy, someday weā€™ll get a better Queen miracle than Sootheā€¦ that way you can at least be an on-value dudeā€¦

1 Like

Yeah, itā€™s really unfortunate. If he had 1 influence or was +1 skill or was -1 cost (maybe even -2 with nothing else going for him) or there was a Q-value spell worth running, he might be a really cool dude. But none of those things or true, so heā€™s pretty bad.

1 Like

Looks like it is indeed Lucy Clover, the art on dtdb is clearer than the (very prompt & helpful) initial scans and you can see Lucyā€™s trademark blue neckerchief?

http://dtdb.co/en/card/10036

So I finally got my cards and I am pretty stoked about all the new possiblities.

But I think my Mutant Cattle is a misprint. Mine say value 2 and difficulty 9, but it should be the other way around, shouldnā€™t it? Please someone say it shouldā€¦ Oh boy.

2 Likes

Nope 2 value and Difficulty 9 according to dtdb.co

When you look at it thematically, its value of 2 makes perfect sense:

Mad Scientist: ā€œMy creation is almost complete! Once this Doomsday Device is operational, the town will be mine!ā€ (makes inventinā€™ pull)
Mutant Cattle: ā€œMooooo!ā€ CRASH!!!
Mad Scientist: ā€œDamnation! That bovine fiend is charging around like a bull in a china shop! Itā€™s ruined all my hard work! And it looks hungryā€¦ Uh-oh!ā€ (Runs away and spends the rest of the turn in hiding).

2 Likes

Canā€™t run away. Booted.

3 Likes

Yeah I know, maybe I could have been more clear that I was joking. Internet is always a tough crowd :slight_smile:

1 Like

You sure you were just hard to swallow for that demonic bovine?