Larry, Thunderboy, and A Slight Modification clarifications

I appreciate the recent ruling on Larry “Sevens” Swift, found here:
http://forums.pineboxentertainment.com/t/larry-sevens-swift-react-ability/3569/3

But I believe it conflicts with a previous ruling on Thunder Boy and A Slight Modification, found here:

If we currently have rules that say we generally resolve cards sentence by sentence, and we also say that card text overrides rules, would it make more sense on the ASM ruling that Thunder Boy should not be able to use his ability again after being Slightly Modified, as his ability has technically been used already? Before you use Thunder Boy, the very last sentence “can only be used once per shootout” is always checked, right?

If we say something like “generally cards are resolved line by line, but not to the complete exclusion of any sentences before or after - text on cards always takes precedence over general rules” does that fit within existing rules? If so, I think it makes the Thunder Boy + ASM (or similar combinations) much more straight forward, as you simply check whether or not it was used, regardless if it was used normally, or “used” via ASM.

1 Like

(That mock rules text should probably read “sentence by sentence” and not “line by line”)

Hello.

Thunder Boy and Mario are able to use their abilities again after A Slight Modification has cancelled them because they are Repeat abilities-

However, any ability that includes the word “Repeat” before the colon can be used multiple times per day, without limit.

So, when you use-
A Slight Modification
React: After an opponent declares the use of a Shootout or non-Cheatin’ Resolution ability, boot a Gadget on a dude in your posse. Waive all costs of the ability, and that ability has no effect.
-on-
“Thunder Boy” Nabbe
Repeat Shootout: If there is a wanted dude in the opposing posse, Nabbe gets a bullet bonus equal to his influence and becomes a stud. You can use this ability once per shootout.
-you waive costs and the ability has no effect.

This means that the final sentence of Thunder Boy’s ability will also be cancelled, leaving him able to use his ability again (thanks to it being Repeat) and the limit on its use not being applied (thanks to A Slight Modification causing his ability to have no effect).

Does that make the reasoning behind our A Slight Modification ruling clear?

Thanks for the quick reply, and allowing me to respond - mad respect for the rules team and the headaches we cause!

I guess I’m not sure why the last sentence of Thunder Boy isn’t checked every single time you use his ability? It’s as if it’s only checked for later uses, once successfully used, instead of every time. If that’s just how it works with repeat actions, then that’s how it works, but that’s the part that wasn’t intuitive to me, as clearly Larry has his last sentence checked every time. I understand he isn’t a repeat ability, but I’m not sure why there is a difference.

Thunder Boy’s ability use isn’t checked until he’s successfully used it once- that’s when the limit is put on his Repeat Shootout, forbidding him from using it again

Preventing him from using the ability also prevents that limit being applied, allowing him to use it again.

2 Likes

Please note the ruling on A Slight Modification and Thunder Boy has been reversed; the Repeat is turned off for the shootout