Servitor Series - OCTGN League

Just under 2 weeks until the Servitor Series comes to OCTGN! We start Friday Nov. 10th, and go 4 full weekends (a little over 3 weeks) through Dec. 3rd.

http://www.challengeboards.net/boards/details/11512

password: servitor

Everything is pretty much the same as the last (Epitaph) league, with a couple differences:

1. We are adding a ‘Most Creative Deck’ award at the end of the main portion of the league (before the top 8). I will be giving away an as-of-yet-unannounced choice of prizes to the person of the deck with the most votes for most creative deck (only league participants can vote). Only rules are that it contain at least 1 TCaR card in it (legend, or regular card), and it had to at least win 1 game during the league.

2. A question for you guys: For the top 8 matches, do you prefer to pick a deck and stick with it for all top 8 matches, or continue like the normal portion of the league, with playing whatever deck you want?

Comment here, or privately message me.

Looking forward to seeing you guys online in the only truly world-wide Doomtown arena!

3 Likes

Most creative deck, eh? Well my most successful deck was Full Moon Brotherhood Shamans last league, let’s see what I can do this time :imp:

I’m fine with Top 8 being able to switch decks between games.

1 Like

I’m very excited about this! As for the top 8, maybe they stick with one gang or home? I imagine trying to police the finals to ensure consistent decks between games would be a challenge.

For Top 8, I’m strongly in favor of sticking with a single deck. Otherwise the possible meta gaming shenanigans give the potential for things to not be fair, with cross-picking and what not. I know these tournaments are mostly laid back and casual but it’s still a tournament; I’ve never heard of a tournament which allowed you to change decks in the playoffs.

1 Like

I agree. I think one deck for all of the top 8 games makes the things more interesting too.

I’m in agreement with playoffs being same deck. Now I have to pick a faction :thinking:

I lean towards the playoffs using the same decks - it gives the playtest team better information on whether a particular deck type is strong. Appreciate this is helping the playtest team and broader health of the game rather than the competitors.

Oversight on my part, I should have specified: You do NOT have to pick with a faction and stick with it for the league. You can play whatever deck you like between games.

And it looks like the top 8 will be having to pick a single deck and stick with it throughout, but I’ll give more time in case we have a bunch of folks who feel otherwise.

Won’t we need to pick a faction for the storyline vote? I think our Corrupt/Save decision is a choice, but the dude it counts for is based on the faction we use. :slight_smile:

Yep, I just verified with the Pinebox folks.

Ignore that other message, we DO need to stick with a faction for the whole league. Sorry for the mix-up, folks.

4 Likes

16 players joined so far, the league starts in 4 days.

4 Likes

Happy OCTGN Servitor League opening day!

Reminder: please get me your faction choices as soon as you can.

Good luck and have fun, all!

5 Likes

1 week in and we have 22 competitors - lots of time left to join and get in some games!

For the winner of the most creative deck award there will be a host of promos, alt art cards, tins, and other prizes to choose from, and even a digital prize if the winner doesn’t care for any of the physical goods!

7 Likes

As we roll into the final weekend of the league, everyone please send me your choices to save or corrupt your factions dude.

In the interest of keeping this thread clean, please PM me here or on Discord.

Main part of the league is over, thanks to everyone who participated! We had 18 people who played at least 2 games each, and 76 total games played… awesome!

Everyone who participated, please send me your “creative” decklists, so I can compile them and coordinate a vote.

Quick reminder: please send me your save/corrupt votes ASAP - I’ve only gotten a handful of them so please shoot me a message right away.

The top 8 folks all had 6 or more games, so here’s the final list:

1. swider
  2. rockergamer
  3. Zeetoois
  4. roullette
  5. shekky_ducky
  6. Prodigy
  7. Serenej
  8. Weron

As usual we’ll try to give about 2 weeks for each match to get their game (or games) in, so try to get your games arranged ASAP. Best 2/3 is recommended, but one game is fine if schedules don’t allow more.
You must choose one single deck for ALL top 8 games! This is different than the main portion of the league, where you only had to stick with one faction. (please do NOT send me your lists, there will be a stand-in judge to help me, since I’d like to play in the top 8 this time)

Top 8 Round 1 pairings:

@swider vs @Weron
@rockergamer06 vs @SereneJ
@Zeetoois vs @Pr0digy
@Roullette3 vs @shekky_ducky

Good luck to all! (except me, because screw that guy)

3 Likes

@jayjester our previous league winner, has graciously agreed to be our stand-in judge. Please send your top 8 decklist to him before your first game.

2 Likes

First round of top 8 is in (thanks again to Jayjester for taking in the deck lists).

Swider, Shekky_ducky, SereneJ, and myself progress to the top 4. Next bracket looks like:

@swider vs @shekky_ducky
@SereneJ vs @Pr0digy

Good luck to everyone whose name starts with an S!

4 Likes

Thanks for keeping us updated, and encourage participants (high placing and those less successful) to share decklists. We often learn more from losing than winning, or it can be because players are interested in a theme/style this isn’t fully supported in the card pool yet but is interesting/fun. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

https://dtdb.co/en/decklist/2598/den-of-jokers-octgn-top-8
Here’s a link to my Hand Rank Manipulation Hucksters (which is a mouthful, so Den of Jokers is what I use). I had a great time! Thanks to all who participated, and congrats to @Pr0digy for kicking my tail in the quarterfinals!

2 Likes

I was unable to specate very many of the games, but I did manage to watch and make a written record of the game Zeetoois won against Prodigy. Here it is if anyone cares to read.

Prodigy vs. Zeetois Den of Jokers - OCTGN Top 8 · DoomtownDB
First couple days: Prodigy plays a few miracles, and engages to take out Travis early, killing him with Censure. Zeetoois builds The Oriental, and Bairds, Prodigy builds The Gommora Gazzete . Prodigy runs a lone Steven Wiles to take on Barton, Theo, and Makio at Bairds. Zeetoois takes out Steven by 1 rank, so he is standing strong on the board.

Next day: Zeetoois gets Carters out with Bairds and hires Jose Morals on. Prodigy continues to develope his blessings. Prodigy uses Law Dogs home to bounty on Barton, and gain GR (with Gazzette) . Zeetoois establishes a strong line on the town square. Prodigy playes a High Stakes Haven, which Zeetoois is not willing to contest.

Next day: Zeetoois play Walters Creek with Bairds, putting all four of his 10 diamonds into play, and hires ‘Slim’, as well as more hexes. Prodigy sends a lone bounty hunter against Barton. Result is a tied hand rank, and forces a casualty on Maria since Zeetoois has no grifters to activate his home with. Prodigy goes all in on the Town Square for a shootout. Father T is hit with Unprepared. ‘Slim’ joins with Shadow walk then discard the spell to make all dudes draw. Prodigy plays This Will Hurt In The Morning on a tied full house, makes a 2 pair, but is brought back to full house with Theo’s joker. Casualties trade Prodigies pedro for Makaio.

Next day: Line up is Nabbe, Hattie, Rev. Perry, Willa and Father T in Town Square for Prodigy. Barton, ‘Slim’, Jose, and Theo at their home for Zeetoois. Zeetoois presents a constant threat of hexes, and 4 strong on deeds against Prodigies 4 influence, but Prodigy has very strong casualty reduction and cheating punishment miracles, if they don’t get unprepared. Doris joins Zeetoois’s gang and Jose gets a soul blast, a very deadly card against low value dogs. Prodigy plays out Hunters Protection and puts a Control Point on Hattie than unboots with Rev. Perry. Steven joins Prodigy for the day, and Zeetoois waits. Hattie boots to Carter’s looking to take out Doris, followed by Father T. Zeetoois plays Kidnapping on Nabbe, time is running out, so this is last action! Influence and Control Points added up at current board is 11 Zeetoois, 12 Prodigy. Rev. Perry, Steven, Nabbe, and Willa defend against Jose and Barton. Rev gets blasted with a King draw and is aced. Slim joins and Nabbe answers back to become a stud 3. Cheating 5 OAK against a Cheating Full house. Zeetoois is down by 2. The Winning Aggenda against Prodigy brings them tied. Willa and Jose discarded. Next is a Zeetoois with a 5 Oak against Prodigie’s full house, Prodigy down by 4 and no answers means good game, Zeetoois Wins.

3 Likes