No Turning Back - Scoop Hound

Ok two more question.

I use raising hell and bring into game abomination. Abomination cannot join posse. Does it enters play in home or in shootout location?

Walk the pass does not just unboot dude due to first sentence condition rule, right?

1 Like

Card link for reference: Raising Hell · DoomtownDB

I would guess that it enters play at home.

That said, this is really a great question for the official rules forum.

If someone would like, I can bundle together all of the questions here and ask them there, then repost answers here.

I am sure you cannot play Walk since first sentence is a condition, and you cannot move a dude into a posse. With Raising I would say you can only ace a card from your hand, but you couldn’t play Abomination. We will have to wait for a ruling on this one.

2 Likes

Compare clown carriage with raisig hell.

Lack of good templating just maddens me:(

Rules question is up! http://www.alderac.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=375&t=113984

Now, we wait…

Could you elaborate on this one? One of the card requires a card from hand to be aced, so it is quite obvious that a wording is a bit different.

All dudes enter play at the home of the owner. Nothing that Raising Hell says breaks this rule. It just says to add it to the hucksters posse.

Walk the path specifies that you unboot that dude. I would say since you don’t move him you don’t unboot.

Shootout Hex 8, Boot: Ace a card from your play hand. One Abomination from your Boot Hill enters play (pay all costs) and joins this Huckster’s posse. Ace this card.

Shootout, Boot: Play an Abomination from your hand into your posse (paying all costs).

Is it same effect? Can raising hell be worded as ‘play abomination from your boothill into your posse’? If no, what is the point of specifying ‘from your hand’ in carriage text?

The carriage just says to play abomination into the posse (enters play at location already in the posse), raising hell specifies enters play and joins this posse (enters play at home, then moves into posse). These read distinct enough to be different to me.

The thing is the first sentence after a colon must happen when you play a card, otherwise you cannot play it. The first sentence in Raising Hell is: Ace a card from your play hand,.

Ok, now I think I was wrong in one of my posts above. I believe the card is working like that: you ace a card from your hand to bring Abomination into play but it won’t join a posse.

Actualy, the FAQ entry for Raising Hell says:

The Abomination joins the hucksters posse therefore enters play at the location of the shootout.

Furthermore, the wording in question (“One Abomination from your Boot Hill enters play and joins this Huckster’s posse”) is very similar to Unprepared (“Boot a dude and their attached cards”). Now, we know that if you play Unprepared targeting Quaterman, the robot will not boot, but all attached goods will (source):

To announce/declare this ability you need to be able to “Choose a dude”, lets say you choose Quaterman. Now you Boot that dude - but wait, Quaterman can’t be booted! Ok so skip that, now we boot all their attached cards.

Therefore I conclude that if you cast Raising Hell after Snoop Hound has been used, you will have to ace a card from your hand, then an abomination enters play at the location of the shootout (but doesn’t join the posse), then you ace Raising Hell.

Solid card, but nothing too terribly exciting. Not something to build a deck around or which furthers any particular archetype, but if you’re already considering 10’s for other things it deserves a solid look at in deck-building.

My primary gripe is with the 2GR cost. It just seems too high at first glance. It’s the same problem I had with Faithful Hound, where it just seem 1GR too high in cost.

This is, to me, primarily because the ability on the card is conditional on what your opponent brings to the table. It’s a meta card that you can’t necessarily count on being useful against every opponent. Meta cards tend to be relatively low in cost because of this risk, but neither Scoop Hound or Faithful Hound seem to follow that design paradigm. So too often you may find yourself stuck with a 2-3 cost Sidekick in your hand, which just isn’t a good play typically.

On the flip side Bluetick you can proactively plan for with things like Law Dogs, Andrew Burton, Evidence, etc. Its something that you can control, rather than relying completely on reacting to your opponent.

2 Likes

I agree with every word.

Bluetick is also useful in Sloane.

Ok cool. I’ll cede the point for raising hell.

There are a lot of half truths to this game it seems. Costs for things occurring after colons without reference to it being a cost. Sometimes cards attempt to resolve whatever they can and sometimes they don’t.

Makes me glad they are reprinting cards.

I really do wish they would put all costs for a card before the colon. Shootout, Hex 8, Boot, Ace a card from your play hand: One abomination from your boot hill enters play… reads better to me.

Other examples:

Controller Noon, Boot, Ace a card from your hand: gain 1 ghost rock.

Then the ruling that you can’t not pay for the cost of a card would be a lot easier to understand.

1 Like

We got a ruling, but it’s not what I expected it to be…

Why would you post… :expressionless:
Can you please post it since that forum is blocked for where I am?

I didn’t get it, what is the problem?

Sure:

You can play it, here is what would happen.

1. Ace a card in your hand.
  2. Nothing…
  3. Ace Raising Hell.

Ace a card-> nothing-> ace Rising Hell. It seems like if there are two things that happen at once e.g. enters a play and joins a posse, and one of those is prevented both cannot happen.

With the errata of its wording, that makes sense.

It should probably read:

Shootout Hex 8, Boot, ace a card from your play hand: Play one Abomination from your Boot Hill into this Huckster’s posse. Ace this card.

To make more sense. That way the dude will enter play at the location of the huckster in their posse already. If the dude can’t enter the posse then they cant come into play.